West systems GFlex or Titebond original

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

old_picker
Blackwood

West systems GFlex or Titebond original

Post by old_picker » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:02 pm

Have a tricky head stock repair on my bench atm.
There will be some minor voids and this is a second repair on a new fracture line. The old glue line has held well but three dowels were put through it I assume as a positioning device. This has made the second repair a little more difficult. Two sheared off and one pulled out from one side. Tidied things up pretty good and can get a reasonable join but not as good as I would like. In one area about a mil will have to come off just behind the bass E tuner hole.

So the question arises do I use GFlex or Titebond original?
The idea of using the GFlex is because some voids need to be be filled including some external where chips are missing. I assume the epoxy will be a better glue in that regard. Downside of course is it will never come apart. Titebond of course is reversible.

Havent done a vast amount of angle style headstock breaks maybe 20 or so and have used Titebond on those succesfully. Its mainly fender country around these parts and headstock breaks are just not seen

thanks for any advice

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: West systems GFlex or Titebond original

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:07 pm

If you're looking for a gap filling glue, avoid Titebond. The thinner the Titebond glue line, the stronger it is. I would also avoid liquid epoxies, which is what G/Flex appears to be. You need the glue to stay where you put it. So I would suggest using Techniqlue (an epoxy), which is thixotropic, so it will stay where you want it and it is a great structural adhesive that works well on wood.

I would not worry about reversibility. If it comes to a third repair, it's likely time for a new neck.

old_picker
Blackwood

Re: West systems GFlex or Titebond original

Post by old_picker » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks Trevor I've never used that type of glue but sounds like a good alternative.

The positioning dowels used by the last bloke were snagging up the join. Hed done a nice job especially with the spray work. I worked on the break for a while and managed to get it together pretty tight. I opted for titebond again and I believe I have a sound join.