More spindle moulder fun

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

More spindle moulder fun

Post by nkforster » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:53 pm

Making mandolin necks on the spindle.

youtu.be/e6I6NnkaWn4

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: More spindle moulder fun

Post by Dave M » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:37 am

Fun indeed. That looks like a helical cutter rather than a sanding bobbin...? With a bearing at the base?

Having invested the time to make the jigs that certainly makes the tasks quick and perhaps more importantly repeatable.
------------------
Dave

nkforster
Blackwood

Re: More spindle moulder fun

Post by nkforster » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:40 am

Dave M wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:37 am
Fun indeed. That looks like a helical cutter rather than a sanding bobbin...? With a bearing at the base?

Having invested the time to make the jigs that certainly makes the tasks quick and perhaps more importantly repeatable.
Yep, its a helical cutter with a bearing. Spindles are great, there is lots of tooling out there. The cutter will last for years - the insert blades can be rotated for sharpness and repaced. You can also install it the other way (upside down) and reverse the motor direction to cut the opposite direction if you need to - like if you want to cut the heel without kickback.

The summer here (your winter) was really wet and there were weeks I couldn't get the RH to 45%, so I spent much of it jig making. So I made 2 for the mandolins (the F and O have different length necks) then jigs for the many different scales I use for tenors, OMs, bouzouki, guitar and baritone. Now I need an extra shed to store them all...