Australian Red Cedar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Gleason

Australian Red Cedar

Post by Bob Gleason » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:19 pm

I tried to post this same query a few days ago, but it went into the ozone. Trying again. A number of builders here in Hawaii, mostly of ukes, use Australian Red Cedar for necks. It is called Toon here. It is a very large tree here in Hawaii, growing best at elevations around 750-1500 meters or so.I have cut Toon from several large trees over the years, but all ot it seems a bit rubbery to me. In a neck shaft size dimension, I can flex it easily by hand. I'm just wondering if it grows differently in it's native envronment? Any builders using it for necks? I love the small, look, and workability, but only use it around the house for trim. Luckily Spanish Cedar also grows in abundance here so I'm not actually shy of neck wood, but the Toon is soooo pretty. Thanks, Bob

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Australian Red Cedar

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:49 pm

Toona Ciliata. Love the stuff for necks.
I use it for necks on about 75% of the guitars i make. From time to time I also used it for back braces and tentelones when im going for a super lightweight flamenco blanca.

Super stiff. Super light. Super stable. Carves well, although some pieces can be very fibrous and splitty. Has an uncanny resemblance to Spanish cedar, infact apart from the smell i cant determine a difference when working with them side by side.

Im getting it from north QLD. I have had some that was more cold climate (Vic) that was far more dense and no where near as stiff, but that was just one small batch.

I tend to avoid the figured examples.
Attachments
Classical-Guitar-For-Sale-june2020.jpg

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:57 am

In the rough cut from the sawmill or in chainsawn chunks, Toon is hard to distinguish from Spanish cedar here to, but the color of Toon is much redder. I think the environment it is grown in must make a difference. Our Toon has an uncomfortable amount of flex for necks. The Hawaii grown Spanish Cedar is much more dense than what I used to get from lutherie suppliers, so it is great neck wood.-Bob

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:46 am

There is plenty of variation to Australian Red Cedar. It grows all around where I live in north Queensland. Very fast growning that I if getting lots of sun and rain will have growth rings that are up to 1+ inch wide.

I've used pieces from what you would refer to as "Old Growth" with somewhat tighter growth ringst hat are a very deep oxblood red and suprisingly hard, to other that people are knocking down or pruning back that is extremely pale straw color and really way too soft for anything.

I have some branches that were donated to me from the Cairns Botanic Gardens after they were snapped of from a Cyclone about 15 years ago. That tree might have been 100 years old and branches were 3-4 foot in diameter. The color is a medium red and the timber is stiff but it's not a "hard" timber. Very much like the Spanish Cedar I've used.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

quartpopt
Gidgee

Post by quartpopt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 am

I've been trying to track down ARC for a couple of blanca necks...any suggestions? I tried kauri with two cf imbedded struts, it seems stiff enough but the glue lines show up something terrible. I did once put black veneer in the glue lines which was some improvement. I think the cedar would be a good choice...if I can find some. I also have just acquired some northern silky oak...cut down last week...I doubt that I'll still be here when that dries. I know you can dry pieces in a microwave, but not the size of a neck blank.

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:09 pm

Maybe 10 years ago I was at a GAL Symposium and Jeff Yong from Malaysia was there. He took 2 large microwaves and welded them together. Was big enough to dry guitar wood.He is a creative guy! 2nd hand microwaves are pretty easy and cheap to come by here. Many of us here in Hawaii have some kind of funky dehumidifier kiln. Easy to make. Makes the electric company happy when the meter never stops. A number of my friends also use old refrigerators with a light bulb and a fan. They are well insulated and relatively cheap to dry small amounts of wood in.-Bob

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:55 am

I have been using it for ukulele and mandolin necks, albeit with a 6x10mm carbon fiber bar as well. Mostly old growth stuff I got from a couple of timber dealers on the mid-north coast. The only problem I have is that the little screws that hold the tuners tend to pull out . I have a mandolin here at the moment with a cedar neck (Huon pine body and King Billy Soundboard) where the string tension distort the tuner base plate as the screws have come loose. I am going to drill out where the screw go in and glue in some short bits of 6mm dowel for the screws to grab onto.

Cheers
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:07 pm

Graham, I am very familiar with the issue you mentioned. Usually it happens when the tuner holes have not been drilled right. Normally, if the post hole is sized just for the tuner post, and only the portion for the bushing is enlarged, the tuner post will be supported enough to not flex the plates. Most likely not a problem with your instruments, but is something I have seen and done myself. Besides the problem you are having, some tuners like Schallers or Waverlys will bind and become almost impossible to use with even the slightest defection of the post. Good luck with your work.-Bob