Planetary Peg Tuner refit on an old flamenco

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Planetary Peg Tuner refit on an old flamenco

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:44 pm

After a 2 year break from building mainly because of a new house build things are slowly cranking up in the workshop. Among the pile of half built instruments and instruments waiting repair is my old K Yairi Flamenco. This guitar has 1978 on the makers label and this guitar was my main instrument through my teen years and through to the mid 80s when I left NZ for Australia. My work took priority and the guitar hasnt been played for 25 years.

Last week I received a set of Perfection Peg planetary peg tuners from Simon Veitch at twofold media. https://perfectionpegs.twofold.com.au/information/ The ordering process was pain free and Simon responded in timely fashion to email enquiries. Installation documentation was good but note that the comment re bass and treble side versions of the tuners doesn't apply to the guitar/uke tuners.

Below is a documentation of the fitting of the pegs.

The pegs....unlike the cello/violin pages the guitar/uke versions of these pegs are bidirectional. The outer barrel of the peg has a threaded section which is anchored in the hole using polyurethane glue.
IMG_0332.jpg
First job is to ream out the old peg holes to fit the new pegs. This job needs to be done with care as a small amount of reaming results in a significant enlargement of the hole. The hole is reamed until the top of the outer barrel of the tuner is just nudging above the top of the headplate.
IMG_0326.jpg
Test fitting the pegs.
IMG_0330.jpg
Applying polyurethane glue to the threaded section of the outer barrel of the tuner.
IMG_0333.jpg
Tuners installed.
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0338.jpg
Martin

mooshalah
Myrtle

Re: Planetary Peg Tuner refit on an old flamenco

Post by mooshalah » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:06 am

Yeah, Simon's service is usually very good - as are the pegs.

Over the years, the set of instructions that come with the pegs have changed and improved, and there are no problems in fitting the pegs, if you follow them.

The last time I installed pegs on a flamenco guitar, I lived by the instructions that came with the pegs:

"There are two types of Perfection peg in each set: pegs for the treble-side of the instrument and pegs for the bass-side.
The two types are NOT interchangeable" I guess it's really good if this is no longer an issue, as you say, Martin.

What really did my head in was when I got to the critical moment when I wanted to reproduce the "traditional" method of orienting the way the strings wind onto the two E string posts (See photographs as examples - not my guitars), my brain began to twist and jibe, trying to work out exactly which peg went where.

On a flamenco guitar it seems traditional - but, I suppose, not essential - that just these two strings wind around their posts from the outside, in, to keep the path of the stings over the nut as direct as possible!
Flamenco 1.jpg
Flamenco 2.jpg
Flamenco 3.jpg
Sometimes I metaphorically find myself needing to have a Bex and a good lie-down.

Frank