Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

alexmclean
Gidgee

Post by alexmclean » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:28 pm

Hello all,
am writing to introduce myself, I have been checking out this forum for some time, so thanks for having me !
I have built 5 guitars over 5 years but hope to build more than 10 within 1 year ! I have a love for recycled timbers and enjoy the challenge of turning them into viable instruments, a long road to take ! This is Build 05, a lutz top set into tas blackwood back and sides, with recycled redgum ( fence post ) fretboard and eucalyptus ( floor joist ) neck. The inlay markers are made from some abalone I found whilst out for a walk. Am happy with the result apart from some finishing woes, looks streaky viewed from an angle. Still, I am improving guitar by guitar.
Cheers, Alex.
build 005.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: New Member

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Welcome to the forum Alex and nice work on that guitar. What did you use as a finish?
Martin

alexmclean
Gidgee

Post by alexmclean » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:27 pm

Thanks Martin ! I'm using U-beaut hard shellac and Robbie O'Briens french polishing course. No 2 came up well
build 2.jpeg
build 2.jpeg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
but that was about 2 years ago and I'm using the same bottle. I did test it and it did set ( over about 3 days ), would the age of the shellac affect the finish, or is it just me getting used to the technique ?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:37 pm

A bit hard to see the streaking you're talking about on the guitar No 5. is it just on the top wood or on the back and sides also? Is the streaking on the surface of the finish or in the wood underneath? If had streaking with hard shellac when I've waited too long between bodying sessions....were talking a couple of weeks.

Shellac does have a shelf life....using made up shellac that's 2 years it probably pushing but if it passes all the tests then you should be ok.
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:36 pm

Hi Alex.
#5 looks great in the photo! I also find finishing to be the most difficult part of the build to pull off without flaws (which is to say that I have never done one without flaws). It seems to either require very fancy gear, or incredibly fastidious technique, or both. II am also very impatient by the time I have finished building the thing, so tend to rush the last step. 10 in a year is very ambitious! Is this as a business venture? And does this mean building ten alike, which would be most efficient, or mixing them up? You will be really developing your chops by the end of that effort.

alexmclean
Gidgee

Post by alexmclean » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Martin I tried to get a photo which shows what I mean, it's there but hard to photograph. It's the topwood, there are flat spots where the wood 'looks thirstier' that in other places, but perhaps I am being fussy !
Mark I feel the same, by the time I get to finishing the instrument, I want it finished ! It seems that if you want to, you can spend as long finishing as you do building. In terms of a business venture, yes I am definitely heading that way. Not sure how realistic that's gonna be, but there's only one way to find out ! As for 10 a year, I don't really know what I'm up against yet. I've heard about the '7 day guitar' concept, but I like to resaw as much a possible - just spent 2 days making bindings ! I'm lucky enough to have my first custom build, so I'm about to learn a lot ! Custom work is what I'm interested in, and I particularly like harp guitars.
Thank you both for your welcomes' and input, it's much appreciated.
Cheers, Alex.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:54 pm

Looks lovely in the photos. You're entitled to be as fussy as you like :)

I agree it took me as long to put the finish on as it took to build the guitar, until I swapped to french polish. I find it the easiest to both apply and fix when things dont go right. Mine dont turn out with that uber-shiny " dipped in plastic" look others can achieve but its good enough for me. More than offsets the hassles with paint/lacquer I feel.

Good luck with building 10 a year...took me 10 years to finish one of mine lol.

Good luck with your builds. Would be nice see a harp guitar being built. I'm a Bach-a-holic and his bass lines sound great on those. Maybe...one day.
Richard

alexmclean
Gidgee

Post by alexmclean » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 pm

Thanks Richard, I'm also a Bach fan and love the lower end. I'm drawn to harp guitars for that extra bass and also love the look of them. Once I get competent at regular guitars, I'll give it a go !
Cheers, Alex.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:12 am

Nice one Alex. 10 in a year, sounds like full time fun!
Trent

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 am

Welcome Alex,
You have found your legs and about to get real serious building guitars. Sounds like you are very passionate about guitars. I know that feeling well. Good luck with the builds. I love recycled timber also.
Cheers
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

alexmclean
Gidgee

Post by alexmclean » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:22 pm

Thank you Trent and Alan, yes I think I've found my passion. I've been working with wood all my life, but there's something magical about bringing a guitar into the world ! Cheers.