Offset diamond crowning file replacement

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

old_picker
Blackwood

Offset diamond crowning file replacement

Post by old_picker » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:05 pm

I've done countless crowning jobs with this old file, it's finally getting tired and its time to replace it.
I can't for the life of me recall what mine is. Kind of worn and not easy to tell. They come in 150 and 300 grit.
Both would be nice but I've gotten by with one for years and they are not cheap.
Just wondering what grit you blokes are using in your diamond crowning files 300 or 150 grit?

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Offset diamond crowning file replacement

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:01 pm

I mainly use the Stewmac double edged files: https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... fret-file/
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:55 am

I had a 150 grit one once and that was way too coarse for my liking. It left deep scratches in the wire that were a total PITA to remove.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:04 am

Allen wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:55 am
I had a 150 grit one once and that was way too coarse for my liking. It left deep scratches in the wire that were a total PITA to remove.
Good enough for me - i tried eyeballing and feeling what was left of the surface on the file and comparing that to corresponding sandpaper and I believe mine was 300 grit -

Kiwigeo- had numerous standard fret files of various widths from stewmac, hosco, Gurian three-in-one set etc etc., I spent a bomb buying crowning files initially but found the job with the diamond file so superior that the standard files come out only if I have narrow fret wire to work on.

Thanks for the posts