The Caldersmith Papers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

The Caldersmith Papers

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:08 pm

Some of the members here may have had the pleasure over the years of meeting and talking with Graham Caldersmith. He was one of the world’s leading researchers into stringed musical instrument acoustics. He combined this understanding with great practical skill, constructing the very finest classical guitars and instruments of the violin family. He died entirely too early a couple of years back, and I thought it would be a useful project to gather all his various writings on guitar and violin acoustics into one volume.
The Caldersmith Papers is a lifetime of research into the way guitars and violins work and make musical sounds. The book brings together 33 articles written between the late 1970s and early 2000s that were originally published in American Lutherie, the Catgut Acoustical Society Newsletter, the Journal of Guitar Acoustics, Acoustics Australia,The Strad and other journals. Caldersmith's research was highly thought of worldwide and he was able to able to explain complex ideas on musical instrument acoustics in a way accessible to the non-technically trained, while at the same time publishing peer-reviewed papers on in the major acoustics journals in Australia, the United States and Europe. This was in addition to building more than 200 guitars, 116 violins, 60 violas and 38 cellos, pioneering the use of Australian timbers in many of them.
The book is published by MusicBooks press and will only be available as a hard copy printed book, available in a couple of weeks through IPG in the US and Canada, and Amazon is taking pre-orders at https://www.amazon.com/Calder.../dp/064 ... ref=sr_1_1... and I think they should be able to ship anywhere in the world.
In Australia copies can be purchased directly from http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/caldersmith_papers.html where there is more information and copies are available now.
Caldersmith Cover front copy.jpeg
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: The Caldersmith Papers

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:11 pm

I'm in...order placed!
Martin

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:28 pm

Me too!
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:07 am

I want one too. Going to order it now.
Nice job curating that Graham.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:46 am

Thanks Graham, order placed!
Cheers
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:39 pm

I understand that Graham Mc. had some difficulties obtaining permission to publish a number of papers jointly authored by Graham C. and Tom Rossing. Prof. Thomas Rossing was one of the greats of musical acoustics and a friend to many, including me. It is with considerable sadness that I have to report the passing of Tom, who will be missed by many, as will Graham C..

Jim watts
Blackwood

Post by Jim watts » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:31 am

Trevor Gore wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:39 pm
I understand that Graham Mc. had some difficulties obtaining permission to publish a number of papers jointly authored by Graham C. and Tom Rossing. Prof. Thomas Rossing was one of the greats of musical acoustics and a friend to many, including me. It is with considerable sadness that I have to report the passing of Tom, who will be missed by many, as will Graham C..
A true giant in the field of acoustics. I have Rossing and Fletcher's "Principles of Vibration and Sound" setting on my desk right now.