Building a Weissenborn

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:28 am

So far, it's been smooth sailing Ron. And not having to build a separate neck, with all the geometry to worry about getting right certainly takes far less time.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Ron M.
Wandoo

Post by Ron M. » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:02 am

Allen wrote:So far, it's been smooth sailing Ron. And not having to build a separate neck, with all the geometry to worry about getting right certainly takes far less time.
Having never built a guitar with a seperate neck, I can only imagine how much simpler it is to build a hollowneck.

Ron M.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:40 pm

Here's the latest updates to the build progress. Been a bit busy this last week so not much has been happening.

The bindings were bent and channels routed. Actually I did a couple of instruments while I was all jigged up and making a mess.

First up I cut a scarf joint for the butt seam on the bindings. I just over lap the two pieces of binding a little bit, then use my Dozuki Saw to cut through both pieces at the same time. That way it's guaranteed to be a good tight joint.

The top is getting a herringbone purfling treatment, so I use a template of the body to help bend the herringbone. A little heat from a hair drier and some spring clamps. to help hold it in shape. I've found this to be the easiest way for me to get purfling this wide to take the bends required.

I tacked in the herringbone with Titebond and tape prior to bindings. The herringbone is standard length, so I had to splice about 4" to make the length up for a Weisenborn. I let it set for about 20 minutes, then pulled off the binding tape and finished installing the bindings with more brown tape. Then cinched everything up tight with a rope made from heavy duty elastic bands.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Nice work Allen, she's coming together very well. Just a tip for anyone doing a traditional weissy Tim Spittle has some ridgy dig broad rope weissy bindings in stock that he sells with his kits so if interested, give him a call.

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:21 pm

I've got a bit more done over the last week. Leveled the bindings, pore filled with epoxy once, sanded that back. Built a fret board and glued it to the body, plus made the bridge.

The bridge is Mineretchi from Tim Spittle. It's taller than my usual bridge and saddle, but I need the hight to get the strings up higher off the fret board. It is 1/2" as per the specs in the plans.

The fret board is Mineretchi as well, with Cheese Wood frets, and MOP inlays. Binding is Black Wood off cuts from the sides.

The bridge is just placed in the approximate position for the picture.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:09 pm

Allen,

That's looking really good and you're getting close to hearing how magical these things are - no turning back then!!

But I'd worry about how close to the front of the bridge the saddle slot is. Todd Stock on the OLF built from the MIMF/Stew Mac plans and his bridge cracked - see this post on the OLF. I'd be inclined to make a new bridge with the slot further back - hope you haven't glued it on yet.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:45 am

Dave, the saddle is 3 mm back from the leading edge. It's not glued on, just sitting there for the photo.

After reading Todd's post, you got me thinking. I might fill in that slot and move it back now. :cry:
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:06 am

Or if you have enough bridge height, just cut the saddle real low so it is not loading the front of the bridge excessively

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:15 pm

I made a piece to fit the saddle slot that was about the same hight as the bone saddle and shoved it into the slot. Grabbed it with a pair of pliers and torqued on it. The front of the bridge cracked as you said might be possible. So a new one is under construction. Set back 1/4 inch and saddle slot routed at about a 15 degree backwards tilt.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 pm

It all looks great mate i bet your glad the bridge had not been glued on yet. Thats one of the reasons this forum is so great. Untill i found this forum i had no one at all to get ideas from.
Carpe Diem

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:31 pm

The instrument is finally finished. Got the strings on it yesterday, but have been so flat out, that I've barely been able to pluck a couple of them. Not that I have a clue on how to play one. I bought a steel slide, but yesterday was the first time I'd ever held one.

It sounds pretty cool, but I'll have to wait for Alan, the ozziebluesman to come for a visit, to hear if it really is any good or not.

It's got my usual finish of Mirotone over WEST Systems epoxy. There's bugger all to fill in the way of pores in Blackwood, so just one full strength fill and one cut with metho to wet everything out evenly. Then 5 coats of Mirotone cut 50/50, followed by another 5 coats cut 50/50.

Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Superb piece of craftsmanship there Allen.

jmuller92
Myrtle

Post by jmuller92 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:54 pm

i've never been a huge fan of weiss' but this is really a beautiful instrument. Kudos to Allen!

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 pm

That looks great mate. If it plays half as good as it looks it should be awsome well done.
Carpe Diem

SteveF
Myrtle

Post by SteveF » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Very nice Allen........Good luck with the learning curve of playing it......Steve

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Beautiful workmanship as usual Allen.

When is Alan coming around to have a play of it.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 pm

Allen,

Excellent work as usual, if you want to play, here is a good start.

http://www.12bar.de/slide.php

Cheers mate.

Kim

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Another thing of beauty, I am glad i found these forum things.

And I agree with covering that glue in any climate cause someone just might take it to the tropics one day and your hide glue grows a moustache.

Jim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:54 pm

Thanks everyone.

I too wasn't much of a fan of these guitars when I first saw pictures of one, but after hearing Alan playing his, and then looking at them some more, they really do start to grow on you.

Bob, I'm hoping that all these fret boards are going to be showing up soon so Alan has an excuse to visit Cairns, and he can give this one, as well as some of the others I have kicking around a bit of a play and critique.

Thanks for the link Kim. Got some practicing to do. :D
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:59 pm

Mate, mate, mate, what a beauty!!! The Blackwood set has fine figure and the finish is first class. I like the fret markers a little thicker too. The fingerboard almost looks like ebony. Gotta be happy with this one.

Cheers

Alan

Bob, I'm planning a trip up to see Allen and Karen before Christmas. Hanging out to play this guitar! :D

Ron M.
Wandoo

Post by Ron M. » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:23 am

Boy, that was fast. Very pretty Allen. How would you describe the sound?

ron m.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:06 am

Wow Allen, that guitar sure looks pretty. I look forward to the experts comments but can guess.
make mine fifths........

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:17 am

Allen, looks great.
A mate is bugging me to help him build one. I'll use this thread as a guide and may pm you for tips once we get started.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 am

wow
I shall just have to aspire to levels of fit and finish near what you are getting
looks great.