Knob Inserts

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kitwn
Wandoo

Knob Inserts

Post by Kitwn » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:53 am

I want to make my own control knobs for an electric guitar but cannot find a source for brass or plastic inserts to fit the 6mm, 18 flute split shafts of the Bourns potentiometers I have. Plain, 1/4" inserts are available but nothing to suit these very popular pots. Bourns themselves have not bothered to reply to my enquiry, I was surprised they don't sell them themselves.
There is no shortage of knobs with inserts fitted available from many sources online so somebody must be making these things by the million. Does anybody have a link to a source, or will I have to buy some existing knobs and attack them with hammer and chisel?

Kit

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Knob Inserts

Post by 56nortondomy » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:23 pm

I made some knobs a while ago. I used brass inserts, I drilled a 6mm hole to go over the shaft then I glued that into a wooden knob I turned on a lathe then drilled through the side and threaded to take a grub screw to lock it in place. Hope that helps.
Wayne

Kitwn
Wandoo

Post by Kitwn » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:03 pm

Thanks Wayne.
I do have a metalworking late I can use to make something similar to your description if necessary, but I was hoping to find a supplier of inserts designed to fit the knurled shafts of the pot. Plenty of other people seem to have access to them, but I can't find any link to a supplier.

Something I found very surprising was the lack of any information on Bourns own website. They make the pots, I'd have thought they'd have had some info on making knobs to fit them!

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:14 am

These look like they may do the job for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202482591760

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:26 am

If you search for a 'one-piece collet with set screw' you will find thousands of suppliers.

https://www.amazon.com/SC-1-Solid-Shaft ... B01MR351PF

https://www.makerstore.com.au/product/lock-collar/

I've assumed the post is 1/4".
Trent

Kitwn
Wandoo

Post by Kitwn » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Mark,
You just have to work out the correct search term! Than you for that link. I need the knobs to be quite thin (more thumbwheel than knob) so those plastic bushings ones will be easier to cut to size than metal ones.

Trent,
The Bourns spec sheet (and my digital caliper) says the shaft diameter is 6mm and most collars are 1/4", though your Makerstore link has both sizes. Coincidentally they also have 5mm which is one I need for a completely different, non-guitar project, so thank you very much for that!

Kit

mac007
Kauri

Post by mac007 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:50 am

one solution I have used is somewhat wasteful but it works.
Buy a plastic knob with the grub screw and brass fitting and crack off the plastic. You can then re-glue the brass insert into your custom crafted knob.

A bit agricultural I know!