Benedetto archtop double ring endpin Jack for sarconi strap

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

vandenboom
Blackwood

Benedetto archtop double ring endpin Jack for sarconi strap

Post by vandenboom » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 pm

Hi all.
I built a 17" Benedetto archtop 12 years ago which uses a sarconi strap to support the tailpiece. You used to be able to purchase an endpin Jack with 2 rings - one for sarconi strap, the outer ring for guitar strap - see pic.
I'm building another one of these (7 string lefty) but
I'm struggling to get that special endpin. I've asked stewmac & lmi but they don't stock them anymore & couldn't give me any leads.
So just wondering if anyone here has any suggestions?
Regards. Frank
PXL_20230206_100758553_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Benedetto archtop double ring endpin Jack for sarconi strap

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:30 pm

Hi Frank
I am way behind you, and about to build my first Benedetto-style arch top. I wish such an elegant end plug/jack was available which was designed to carry the tailpiece and the strap as well.
I found this at StewMac - doesn’t it do the job?
https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas ... tructions/

This one might also do because the strap section seems wide enough to do the two functions?
https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/guit ... c-guitars/

vandenboom
Blackwood

Re: Benedetto archtop double ring endpin Jack for sarconi strap

Post by vandenboom » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:44 pm

Hi Mark
Good to connect again.
That 2nd Jack looks like a good option.

I also joined the FB group - Archtop Guitars - to ask this question. I got a stack of suggestions from around the globe. One of them was from a guy who related what Benedetto personally told him to do 25 years ago.
The Benedetto notes in your first link basically spell that out. You just use a conventional jack with single ring, epoxy & tidy up section where thread not required. When you insert it, don't go the whole way - leave room for the sarconi strap. I'd probably put a stainless washer against the side as well but they don't even do that.
Hope that makes sense.

One of the replies to the archtop guitars post has one of those 2 ring jacks. He's in USA but has offered to send it to me as he'll never use it. Failing that, I'd be using the other method.

This is only my 2nd archtop build. My other builds over the years have been dreads, OMs & classical. But happy to help if you have any questions. I love my 12 year old Benedetto copy - great tone & great to play - it is my preferred guitar for gigs.
Cheers. Frank