A question about last lattice guitars built in Australia

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

guitar explorator
Gidgee

A question about last lattice guitars built in Australia

Post by guitar explorator » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:15 pm

Hi,

I am reading the CAGD&B book of Trevor Gore and Gerard Gilet, having in view to build a classical guitar.

Recently hearing one of the last guitar built by Kim Lissarrague, I am curious about the bracing used by this guy.

The back is laminated arched, it's said that the bracing is balsa + CF, in lattice outlines.
Somebody has seen the bracing of his last guitars, with such a deep sound ?

Tx a lot for your replies and infos.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: A question about last lattice guitars built in Australia

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:55 pm

After watching the video it appears that the backs don't require bracing to maintain the arch as they're laminated. Doesn't specify if the backs are live or not.

The bracing under the tops.....most likely a Smallman style lattice work set up.
Martin

guitar explorator
Gidgee

Post by guitar explorator » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:56 pm

Hi,
yes, you are right about the arched back.

The guitar is quite heavy (2.4 Kg), so perhaps there is a Smallman style lattice, at least for the frame.

But the guitar don't sound as a "classical" Smallman lattice.
The tone is much deeper, as I can hear.
Until now, I was looking at bracing in fan style to build my guitar.
I am reconsidering my plans, after hearing such kind of tone.

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:54 pm

I wonder (without being rude) how much experience you have build? The type of guitar you are talking about, being Smallman or close to, requires a very high level of technique. And epoxy and CF can get very messy very quickly, even G&G's relatively simple bracing.

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave

guitar explorator
Gidgee

Post by guitar explorator » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:16 am

I know that lattice bracing can be very messy very quickly.
And to reply to your question, as you guessed it, at the moment, I built exactly zero guitar.
-
It isn't a suffisant reason to not explore all solutions, including the lattice bracing, over all when a guitar can sound as delightfully as those last Lissarague's guitars.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:42 pm

For your first build I'd recommend something where the chances of things going pear shaped and killing your interest in building are minimized.

My early classical builds were fan braced....I played with various versions of same as per some of the well known makers just to cut my teeth and also to get a feel for "conventional" building methods. I've since joined the Gore Army and do falcate builds mainly.

guitar explorator wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:16 am
I know that lattice bracing can be very messy very quickly.
And to reply to your question, as you guessed it, at the moment, I built exactly zero guitar.
-
It isn't a suffisant reason to not explore all solutions, including the lattice bracing, over all when a guitar can sound as delightfully as those last Lissarague's guitars.
Martin

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:32 pm

Go for it bro.
It’ll either make you or break you.
When I started guitar making (3 so far + a balalaika, 2 mandolins and a hurdygurdy) I couldn’t plane a piece of wood down without getting a 3mm taper in it. Down to about 0.1mm now. The first guitar was more like a patchwork quilt.
Don’t be disappointed if the first one doesn’t work out. It’s a steep learning curve. The 2nd one will be heaps better.
Go hard!

guitar explorator
Gidgee

Post by guitar explorator » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:25 pm

Tx for your support, guys
I built zero guitar, at the moment, but my first piece of wood that I planed, I was 11 year old when I did it (so not perfectly the dimensions that my teacher required, too), and i built a sailboard with Bassam Mahogany veneers when I was 25y, so I don't start totally from scratch with the project ;)

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:12 pm

guitar explorator wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:15 pm
Hi,

I am reading the CAGD&B book of Trevor Gore and Gerard Gilet, having in view to build a classical guitar.

Recently hearing one of the last guitar built by Kim Lissarrague, I am curious about the bracing used by this guy.

The back is laminated arched, it's said that the bracing is balsa + CF, in lattice outlines.
Somebody has seen the bracing of his last guitars, with such a deep sound ?

Tx a lot for your replies and infos.
Im quite familiar with Kim and his guitars.
Confirming -
They are laminated arched back and laminated sides.
His soundboards are lattice braced with CF and Balsa.
He also uses a 'structure' around the outer edges ie a toilet seat, somewhat similar to smallmans.

For a first build i strongly suggest NOT to start with a lattice braced guitar. Getting the thickness right for the soundboard on these instruments is very difficult.Also geting the lattice structure right is the same.
Try a fan braced instrument to start with.