New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Glu Boost Gel for inlay work

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Glu Boost Gel for inlay work

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:10 am

Here is the latest Luthier Tips du Jour video. - In this video I show using Glu Boost Gel for doing inlay work.
This video as well as all my other videos are available via my website, https://lutherieacademy.com/videos , LMI's website or on Youtube.
Don't forget to subscribe to my channel if you want to get the latest Luthier Tips du Jour videos when they are released.

youtu.be/2KdQtXmEB0Q
www.obrienguitars.com

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Glu Boost Gel for inlay work

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:55 pm

Where are people getting their gluboost in Australia? Im using mostly starbond, I'd like to give gluboost a try but if I like it, Id wanna buy in bulk.
Trent

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:08 am

Hi Trent, I got mine from Southern Tonewoods. Some years ago. I found that it worked out pretty expensive for me, being a low-volume repair shop, the glue went hard in the bottles before getting a third of the way down within a year. I stored unopened bottles in the fridge and once opened I kept them in a special little cabinet I have for CA glues. Other CA glues were fine. It could be the higher temperatures here in North Qld.

I use their other products but bought 20 small bottles of CA glue from a $2 shop, they seem to have a longer shelf life, though not so good at drop-filling lacquer. I like their accelerator spray as it does not leave a wet residue on the job. Due to the cost, I have been hesitant in trying the CA glue again.
Cheers Taff
Taff

Davelson
Gidgee

Post by Davelson » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:14 am

Frank at Southern Tonewoods is a great supplier. I always store CA glu-boost in the fridge between application… Does not thicken that way in the warm weather. I use the MasterGlu Ultra Thin for my inlay work…. Because I cut with a CNC I get very fine tolerances (0.05mm) but the UntraThin wicks very well under the inlay. Also lasts a long time because you don’t need a lot..

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:09 pm

Hi, yes I have always found them good the deal with over the years. The advice from Glu Boost at that time was not to put opened CA glue back in the fridge, so I followed that advice. I now understand that CA glue can go in the fridge if in an air-tight container, so I will possibly give it another go.
Taff
Taff