Measuring bridge rotation before closing the box.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

colin north
Sassafras

Measuring bridge rotation before closing the box.

Post by colin north » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:25 am

I've been adjusting bracing height after fully finishing my guitars through the soundhole (checking bridge rotation as I go) to obtain what sounds to me like a good balance between bass and trebles response, but it's A) really hard on the wrists and B) leaves bracing not as well shaped as I would like it to be (parabolic).
So. I've been kicking about an idea for a project for several days.
The idea is to glue the braced top (unfinished) to the sides, secure in the mold, position vertically and use an appropriate weight on a lever to rotate the glued on bridge (using HHG)
Calcs -Expected Saddle height = 0.5", lever length 12", string tension for lights = 180 lbs, I work out at torque at 90 lbs / 1 ", equivalent to 7.5 lbs at 12" (to be adjusted as required for scale length/string gauge)
I was thinking to secure the lever on top of the bridge using the outer bridge pin holes to bolt a right angled aluminium section, extended from the saddle position out to the 12"
I can then adjust the bracing heights/shape to obtain a desired rotation, before removing the bridge and continue to finish construction/finishing.
(A variation on this could be using the Somogyi idea of trying different bracing arrangements using masking tape CA'd back to back)

Would anyone like to offer up any holes or considerations they can see in this?