Spraying Hard Shellac

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

benldwyer
Sassafras

Spraying Hard Shellac

Post by benldwyer » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:07 pm

Hi All,
At risk of raising the wrath of members, I am posting a query about spraying hard shellac. I have looked high and low for info re. this and have found a lot of people saying they spray it but not a lot of detail, and I'm new to spraying.
I'm have a basic stew mac gun (0.8 mm tip) as a starting piece and appropriate compressor, I've set up a little pop up camping tent as a booth to prevent dust etc.
I have sprayed about 5 coats of Shines hard shellac but continue to get craters in the finish, and while I continue to try to make adjustments to my methodology I thought Id ask here to avoid wasting too much more product... I have read about fish eyes, craters, bubbles etc. but they seem to have different causes and I'm not sure what my problem is.
I have been spraying at 4:1 mix (I realise this is likely the cause of my problem) and have tried to thin it down a little but need to try this again as the results weren't definitive. I have encountered some spitting/spluttering.
As stated I'm still working through solutions but thought someone may have sprayed hard shellac before or be able to identify my issue from general spraying knowledge.
Thanks in advance and apologies if I have missed a previous post on the topic.
Ben
Attachments
20231123_110757.jpg
20231119_111800.jpg

OfficialHorvath
Gidgee

Re: Spraying Hard Shellac

Post by OfficialHorvath » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 am

Hi, I haven't sprayed hard shellac, but generally the causes of these craters and fisheyes will be something that prevents the paint from adhering evenly to the substrate. The solution will come down to carefully evaluating your current prep of the surface before spraying and looking for possible causes, eg, start with the type of sandpaper you are using and what are you using to wipe off etc. Hope this helps. BTW my spraying experience is mainly with automotive type paints, but the principles will be the same - eliminate contamination sources.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:35 am

Another potential source of contamination is some of the non slip mates that people seem to love. Some of the mats are contaminated with the silicone mold release used during their manufacture.

OfficialHorvath wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 am
Hi, I haven't sprayed hard shellac, but generally the causes of these craters and fisheyes will be something that prevents the paint from adhering evenly to the substrate. The solution will come down to carefully evaluating your current prep of the surface before spraying and looking for possible causes, eg, start with the type of sandpaper you are using and what are you using to wipe off etc. Hope this helps. BTW my spraying experience is mainly with automotive type paints, but the principles will be the same - eliminate contamination sources.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:00 am

....And yet another potential source of contamination is oil in the air from your compressor.

benldwyer
Sassafras

Post by benldwyer » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:25 pm

Hi Gents, thank you all for your time and insight.

I have been very careful to use clean rags, hands and eliminate contaminants. I have a brand new compressor (oil free I believe) and inline filter at the gun. I do use those dodgy mats but not during or after sanding, but I will get rid of them anyway.

In the end I just had to take a step back, calm down, stop overthinking things and return to basics to solve the embarrassingly simple issue. Essentially it was the occasional splutter spitting onto the surface that was causing the craters. Air was getting in through the nozzle which wasn't tight enough, and after adjusting this, no more craters. Maybe the thick coats and warm dry weather in Perth contributed to them remaining in place and looking like fish eyes.

My next challenge is eliminating dust and lint. If I can do that I will save a lot of time not having to sand between coats. I have tried misting the work space (tent, see photo) with water, using different cloths (tack, shammy) but cant seem to prevent it. Is it possible without a professional both or does everyone generally have to do some sanding between coats?

Thanks again for your time and advice,

Ben
Attachments
20231119_101751.jpg
20231203_180956.jpg
20231201_112708.jpg

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:08 pm

Hey Ben, Work look great mate. And an A+ for the amount of effort you go through. I have a booth with extraction but even that pulls dust/dirt from the surrounding area.

benldwyer
Sassafras

Post by benldwyer » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:33 pm

Thank you for your kind words an input mate, I'll keep working and try to improve my process.
Thanks again,
Ben

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:35 am

So Martin is this a fact about the non slip mats? I hadn't heard that. It could be really problematic. They really are useful in certain processes but if you are right we need to stop using them.

Best Dave
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:57 am

I had issues with french polish on an early build which I suspect was due to the rubber mat I had under the guitar. I suspected the mat after reading comments either in here or in GAL magazine. Silicon is often used in spray on release agent used in molds.
Dave M wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:35 am
So Martin is this a fact about the non slip mats? I hadn't heard that. It could be really problematic. They really are useful in certain processes but if you are right we need to stop using them.

Best Dave
Martin