Bowl back mandolin

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

PeterDoc
Gidgee

Bowl back mandolin

Post by PeterDoc » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:38 pm

Hello all. My first post here. I have set myself a moderately ambitious project for a first build. A Cremonese mandolin. Sort of like a miniature lute.
(Or a glorified ukulele). I have drawn up some plans and I'm currently knocking up the mould for the body. I have salvaged myself a fairly nice piece of spruce (?) From an old zither for the top and chosen huon pine for the ribs.
My question: Is there anything wrong with steam bending the ribs to shape before fitting them to the body mould? I.e. heating the individual strakes in a steambox and clamping them into a mould.
I have noticed that tutorials online use a bending iron to shape the strakes as they fit them to the body mould. So, is there a problem with the steambox technique that would preclude me from using it?
I imagine that I'll have lots of issues along the way. I know that I'm getting somewhat ahead of myself but that's the way that this old blokes head works.
Sorry about the verbose prose style. It's getting worse as I 'mature '.
Thanks in anticipation and Good on you all.
Peter

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Bowl back mandolin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:38 pm

Steam bending isn't necessary unless the wood you're bending is thick and won't yield on a bending iron with a spritz of water.

I assume you're laying up rib sections over an internal mould as you'd do for a lute? The rib sections will only need to be around 2-3mm thick to be able to be bent on an iron but at the same time end up making a structurally sound bowl back.
Martin

PeterDoc
Gidgee

Post by PeterDoc » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:13 pm

Thanks for that Martin. Don't have a classical style bending iron. Don't think I'd be permitted to lay out the readies to buy one. Could get the grandson to fabricate a Turkish type. Out of interest, would steam bending be delitirious to the finished instrument? Mind, the ribs would be well dried before fitting and gluing.
Good on you.
Peter

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:50 pm

PeterDoc wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:13 pm
Thanks for that Martin. Don't have a classical style bending iron. Don't think I'd be permitted to lay out the readies to buy one. Could get the grandson to fabricate a Turkish type. Out of interest, would steam bending be delitirious to the finished instrument? Mind, the ribs would be well dried before fitting and gluing.
Good on you.
Peter
Steam bending will work but it involves more work than is really necessary to coax what are thin pieces of wood into a relatively shallow curve.

If you cant afford to buy a bending behind iron there are options for making your own iron. Plenty of info and guides for this on the internet..

https://youtu.be/Oxe-JnyoJ4c?si=SXtFxsu6qP37rbJ2
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:56 pm

Try a search on this forum as well:

http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... ron#p96257

PS: welcome to the forum!
Martin

PeterDoc
Gidgee

Post by PeterDoc » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:59 pm

Thank you Martin. Great idea. I have a heat gun.
You're a good person.
Good on you
Peter