current reputable intensive workshops?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bernm
Sassafras

current reputable intensive workshops?

Post by bernm » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

If this query is answered in another post anywhere, please feel free to redirect me to that.

But I'm curious please if hear if there any suggestions about reputable lutherie workshops running in Australia? Who is currently running classes or workshops that are generally well-regarded? I'm interested in either acoustic or electric guitar options, as well as ukulele.

I'm a bit of a dabbler in guitar building and mods/repair, and I actually took an intensive once, but that was over a decade ago now, so I'd be keen to sit with an experienced maker to upskill further. It turns out that I have some leave from work happening later this year, and I'm looking to see if anyone's course offerings match my availability. I have begun looking into what's running out there, but thought I'd check here as well to see if there are current recommendations.

Many thanks!
Bern

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: current reputable intensive workshops?

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 pm

Brisbane Guitar Making School. Run by one of our members Trent Paleili.

https://brisbaneguitarmakingschool.com.au/
Martin

bernm
Sassafras

Post by bernm » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:45 pm

Thank you!

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:36 am

Gerard Gilet runs courses.I guess it depends where you are in Oz.
------------------
Dave

bernm
Sassafras

Post by bernm » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:21 am

Dave M wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:36 am
Gerard Gilet runs courses.I guess it depends where you are in Oz.
Thanks. I have reached out to Gerard to check about workshop dates.

bernm
Sassafras

Post by bernm » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 pm
Brisbane Guitar Making School. Run by one of our members Trent Paleili.

https://brisbaneguitarmakingschool.com.au/
I've had a look at the site, and that looks pretty good as well.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:03 am

Hi Ben.
I run weekly and intensive courses from my workshops in Hornsby (Sydney), and Port Stephens.

Myself and my staff have instructed over 500x student guitars at these locations to date all to a very high quality.

If you are specifically after an intensive course - i do these in 3week alotments (15days Mon-Fri). I've run 8 intensive courses over the last 6yrs all with success. I dont have dates secured for my next one yet (ive been slack at organising this year), but looking like June/July at my Port Stephens workshop.
I have people travel from all over the world to my intensive courses so i'm used to helping with accommodation too.

See a photo journal of one of my courses: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9237

Google - Toscano Guitars, and/or Australian Guitar Making School. I have some juicy content on Facebook.

Feel free to call me - 0467 647 936

Otherwise if you are looking up north, then as others have mentioned. Trent at the Brisbane Guitar Making School runs a nice workshop that i've only heard good things about.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:11 pm

Sorry Steve...should have put in a plug for your school as well as Brisbane Guitar Making School.

+1 for Australian Guitar Making School. Note Ive had several friends attend courses at both schools and they were very happy with their experiences.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:14 pm

A timely thread as I'm currently helping a friend complete a build after the school he was attending shut down leaving him with a half completed guitar and no guidance as to where he should be going with same.

Some good schools around but also some dodgey operators plying their wares.
Martin

bernm
Sassafras

Post by bernm » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:53 pm

Steve.Toscano wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:03 am
Hi Ben.
I run weekly and intensive courses from my workshops in Hornsby (Sydney), and Port Stephens.

Myself and my staff have instructed over 500x student guitars at these locations to date all to a very high quality.

If you are specifically after an intensive course - i do these in 3week alotments (15days Mon-Fri). I've run 8 intensive courses over the last 6yrs all with success. I dont have dates secured for my next one yet (ive been slack at organising this year), but looking like June/July at my Port Stephens workshop.
I have people travel from all over the world to my intensive courses so i'm used to helping with accommodation too.

See a photo journal of one of my courses: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9237

Google - Toscano Guitars, and/or Australian Guitar Making School. I have some juicy content on Facebook.

Feel free to call me - 0467 647 936

Otherwise if you are looking up north, then as others have mentioned. Trent at the Brisbane Guitar Making School runs a nice workshop that i've only heard good things about.

Thanks Steve, I'll have a look. Appreciated.

Kind regards,
Bern

mtodd
Beefwood

Post by mtodd » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

If you're in Adelaide Wood and Strings in Marino is another option : https://woodandstrings.com.au

Just as an aside, during a previous overseas trip while stuck in a cheap hotel while in transit, I wrote the following short article about my experiences with a couple of courses including with Wood and Strings (not informative - just chewing the fat):

https://medium.com/@mtodd_22603/guitar- ... 250c321fcf