Respirator Trend Airshield

MSDS Sheets or even stories of something stupid you've done in the workshop.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

Respirator Trend Airshield

Post by simso » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:11 pm

I have a few half face respirators an air hood for painting that runs of compressed air and a Triton air belt supplied unit, that is you clip the unit on your belt and it pumps filtered air up to a full face mask.

Just purchased a trend airshield all in one, so it’s a big face shield with battery operated filtration pack built Into the helmet, I cannot speak highly enough of the unit, it’s better than I expected.

Buffed a guitar and can still breathe.

I bought it online vee United Kingdom as it was cheaper by almost half to a local purchase.

But

Awesome, awesome, awesome unit

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Respirator Trend Airshield

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 pm

I have a Trend router...there stuff is generally of good quality.
Martin

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 am

I have been considering that type of mask. Two questions about it.

How bothersome is the fan? Obviously if you are using a router of something like that, the machine will be making a racket so the fan is irrelevant but it you are hand sanding for example, how noticeable is it?

How do you find the weight? Could you wear if all day?

I have a half mask which I wear a lot and it is not bad. When I wear it for a while, and then take it off, I discover that I had a sense of smell left. :-)

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Yes could wear it all day, fan makes noise but not noisy

Only issue I have had so far, little awkward getting my glasses on as well.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 pm

Yet another question. I currently have a half mask with 2 cartridge filters. I have PP3 filters (what it came with) and PP1 and PP2 are available. The PP3 seems very effective. For example I was doing a bit of french polishing today and I realized that I don't smell the alcohol through the mask so it seems to even filter out some solvents. When I am sanding ebony, nothing seems to come through.

The Trend seems to be PP2 (I saw no other options) according to the manual. Have you tested yours yet where there are solvents around? Apart from alcohol for shellac I don't use anything much in any case and alcohol doesn't bother me anyway ;-)

I also looked up replacement filters .. the prices are all over the place - definitely worth shopping round when the time comes.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:06 am

I have not attempted to use it in a fume environment, solely dusty environments including buffing, I had to route some binding of a guitar today and it was the best thing out, no breathing wood dust or plastic offcuts and fully enclosed face shield.

Haven’t had to order filters either, cross that bridge when I get there, but they look simple enough, so could not Imagine them being overly expensive

Loved it.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:46 am

I eventually got one of these a couple of months ago. I haven't used it a lot but it is quite good and I am glad I got it. I still keep the 2 cartridge half mask handy for some jobs. The respirator is nice for keeping my glasses from fogging up especially when the weather is warm.

A funny issue with spectacles is that if I am wearing my reading glasses, the distances are a bit awkward. Or if I want to look over the top of my regular glasses while bending over a piece of work, the weigh of the mask is a noticeable. Maybe new "respirator glasses" are in order. As was mentioned above, the noise is tolerable and would probable make me wear ear protection if I was using it for more that half an hour at a time.

I will get some of the "green" antiglare protector film soonish. I find that the reflections in the regular which protective covering is annoying at times. This may be partially related to my eyesight.

If you walk about in the thing you will attract some Darth Vader comments from anyone who sees you. :-)