Warning! Epoxy Grain Fillers, be very, very careful

MSDS Sheets or even stories of something stupid you've done in the workshop.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Are you getting better Kim?
make mine fifths........

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 pm

I have not yet heard the "whew, glad that shit is over with!" from you, Kim. Does this mean you're still dealing with this? If yes, let me know, and I'll PM you a couple of ideas that will sound crazy - but may help.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks for the concern guys,

Essentially the epoxy now seems mostly gone out of my system. However the affects are still hanging around. To cut a long one short, the bodies response to invasion by toxins to which it has no natural defence is to create killer "T" cells. These Tcells kill everything in the area, by everything, I mean that they do not discriminate between your own bodies tissue and the invading element. The end result is that your skin cells, nerve endings, everything get destroyed as your body rids itself of the culprit.

This is pretty amazing stuff and the fact the nerve endings are attacked by these Tcells explains why the itch is just a whole new thing that you can never imagine unless you have been there. I made a statement when I told you guys about this that it was all I could do to resist tearing my flesh from the bones. Believe it, that was not bullshit.

Anyhow, when I say that the affects still linger, I refer to the fact that I am only just now, after the 3 months it has taken for the nerve endings to reestablish themselves, beginning to get some feeling back in the skin surface of my shins. As stated this was the worst affected area and up until a week or two ago, I had no sensation there at all.

That now on the mend, there is a couple of things that still concern me. As you may recall from my post above, so bad was the swelling in my legs when I presented to the ER that I was misdiagnosed and admitted into hospital where they began IV antibiotic treatment for cellulitis, they where convinced that such swelling and redness could only be caused by infection.

Well the down side of this is the root cause of the itch remained untreated for about 10 days whilst the epoxy and the Tcells had it out. The fall out of this battle was the production of lots of fluid which caused the swelling which being left untreated just got worse and worse to a point where my legs where shining. What concerns me now is that while most of this swelling has dissipated, or it does so when I sleep, a good amount returns to my lower legs when I stand for a while. I can only imagine that the forced passage of this fluid from the onset of this ailment has now left a legacy of easy entry of fluid back into my legs for the rest of my freak'in days. :x

Other than that, I feel fine but still no "Phew" I'm afraid. On a brighter note, I did actually string up my guitar last night and so far it seems to be OK and has no swelling at all. :D

Cheers

Kim

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:06 am

Kim wrote:Thanks for the concern guys,

Essentially the epoxy now seems mostly gone out of my system. However the affects are still hanging around. To cut a long one short, the bodies response to invasion by toxins to which it has no natural defence is to create killer "T" cells. These Tcells kill everything in the area, by everything, I mean that they do not discriminate between your own bodies tissue and the invading element. The end result is that your skin cells, nerve endings, everything get destroyed as your body rids itself of the culprit.

This is pretty amazing stuff and the fact the nerve endings are attacked by these Tcells explains why the itch is just a whole new thing that you can never imagine unless you have been there. I made a statement when I told you guys about this that it was all I could do to resist tearing my flesh from the bones. Believe it, that was not bullshit.

Anyhow, when I say that the affects still linger, I refer to the fact that I am only just now, after the 3 months it has taken for the nerve endings to reestablish themselves, beginning to get some feeling back in the skin surface of my shins. As stated this was the worst affected area and up until a week or two ago, I had no sensation there at all.

That now on the mend, there is a couple of things that still concern me. As you may recall from my post above, so bad was the swelling in my legs when I presented to the ER that I was misdiagnosed and admitted into hospital where they began IV antibiotic treatment for cellulitis, they where convinced that such swelling and redness could only be caused by infection.

Well the down side of this is the root cause of the itch remained untreated for about 10 days whilst the epoxy and the Tcells had it out. The fall out of this battle was the production of lots of fluid which caused the swelling which being left untreated just got worse and worse to a point where my legs where shining. What concerns me now is that while most of this swelling has dissipated, or it does so when I sleep, a good amount returns to my lower legs when I stand for a while. I can only imagine that the forced passage of this fluid from the onset of this ailment has now left a legacy of easy entry of fluid back into my legs for the rest of my freak'in days. :x

Other than that, I feel fine but still no "Phew" I'm afraid. On a brighter note, I did actually string up my guitar last night and so far it seems to be OK and has no swelling at all. :D

Cheers

Kim
Well, Kim, I'm glad to hear that you're apparently mending (with the return of skin sensation), and I'm hoping that you are wrong about the "easy entry of fluids" concept. I have only anecdotal evidence, but my wife's ankles probably doubled in size for at least half of her pregnancy - to the point where her skin was shiny - and they went back to normal. So, I'm hoping that as your body kicks out and sloughs off the last vestiges of the T-cell vs epoxy battle remnants, that all will be normal again for you.

A freakin' bummer that it happened to you at all, and I'm sure glad you were somehow able to get your guitar finished. How did you do it? Did someone else apply the finish, or did you use waterborne, or did you french polish...?

Looking forward to seeing this guitar that we have only seen tiny glimpses of! This isn't the best thread to wag a finger at you for hiding your processes and progress from us, so I'll bitch at you elsewhere.

Wishing continued progress toward complete healing,

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:53 am

Hey Kim,
Glad things are picking up.
As far as the fluid accumulation goes, a few suggestions.

-lie down with your feet supported in an elevated position for 10 minutes, a couple of times a day.
-If you can find someone trained in Lymphatic drainage massage (a very gentle massage that aims to pump fluid) then that would be of great help.
I do this but I am on the other side of the country.
Avoid anyone who thinks this should be deep or painful, it must be light.
If you cannot find anyone local who has had the specialized training, then someone you can trust, to just do gentle effluerage from foot to hip.
Jeff