Safety Stop Switch For Static Machinery.

MSDS Sheets or even stories of something stupid you've done in the workshop.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Safety Stop Switch For Static Machinery.

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Gday,

A lot of older machines have poor quality switches and some, like the uncovered bakelite metal bodied 1940's job that was on my Gilbro tablesaw are just out right dangerous.

I knew I should have replaced the switch way back when I first bought the machine and I did look around locally in earnest but he did not have one. :) The truth is that when I was confronted by the hideous price being asked by local suppliers, I decided back then that I would rather die from electrocution than pay the ransom. So I kept using the switch because it worked and as long as I squinted my eyes, clenched my teeth, and kept thinking it probably hasn't actually killed anyone in all these years, I was able to face each 'on' and 'off' event and think of it as an adventure into the unknown...Not real good for the Zen type focus though :|

Here is the switch....Ommmmmmmmmmmm.......
Gilbro Switch.gif
So on with a solution. I kept looking at the neato switch on the old Triton router table thinking I could cannibalize it because I use the TS so much more than the fixed router...but it seemed silly to make one tool more dangerous in an effort to make another more safe. Then I was browsing Rockler, a major tool and hardware outlet in the USA and came across a safety switch they had on special for $25USD. I checked the specs and although it is wired for 110v and has standard USA plugs fittings on each cable, it was fitted with 14 gauge wire and rated at 15amp. Further digging revealed that the switch is rated @ 10amp on a 250v supply so in the cart it went.

The switch is now on my old saw. Life is safe, but at the same time a little more boring:

(No smart arsed comments about the mecano set saw stand please Marty..it works fine, just like the old switch :lol: )
New Switch.gif
So the verdict, yes the wiring needs to be changed out to suit our 240vsupply but that is a very easy fix especially if you intended to hard wire the switch to a machine because you would then need to pull the switch apart to that anyhow. Yes you could just change out the plug ends remembering that white is neutral in the USA and blue is neutral in AU. But it is only two screws and a simple change over of cables for anyone with proper electrical training. All in all the switch operates very well, a bit of a 'cheapish' feel to the on button where you need to push a bit firmer than you would a $200 switch. But the off switch works well with or without the big plastic 'STOP' paddle and that is all it is, an actuator paddle that can be unclipped easily to reveal a RED 'OFF" button which is a little larger than the green 'START' button. I leave the paddle in place simply because it does work effectively as a 'hands free' fast stop switch. I have positioned the switch so a quick push with the knee is all it takes to shut the saw off and that's a handy thing should you suddenly discover you have no fingers. :?

Bottom line, this Taiwanese made switch is very good quality for the money and I would buy another without hesitation. Big, a bit ugly, but quite effective as a safety stop switch and it is very easy to fit, so it is both burnt thumbs up from me...Image

Here is a link to the switch @ Rockler.com...to make shipping worth while I found they have some good deals on router bits and jig and fixture hardware like "T" track, multi track and T bolts etc and their locking adjustable feather boards are good value as well, plastic but I find they work well and are stackable for tenon work.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17401&rrt=1

If anyone has a better alternative for a safety stop switch 'please' feel free to post it in this thread because that is this idea folks, share the good oil.

Cheers

Kim

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Re: Safety Stop Switch For Static Machinery.

Post by liam_fnq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Did you see this one Kim?

http://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/932640 ... tacts.html

Flat rate $10 delivery too by the looks of things.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Can't get access Liam, need a trade# to register. Can you load an image and price here so we can have a look see?

Cheers

Kim

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:25 pm

That's funny. I've never entered my licence no. I'm pretty sure Allen has ordered from these guys too. the link opens fine for me.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Opens for me too.

Obviously they don't like Sandgropers.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Opens for me now as well (get rooted Bob) must have been their server today because nothing would open on the site at all for me earlier today and when I went to the base home page, it loaded but all the links showed an sql?? error?? but it all works fine now.

Great link and good looking switch by the way, but 'Hands free' OFF is what I was referring to as a 'safety stop switch'...mind you, I can see a couple of those in my cart as I continue on with my seemingly never ending shed reorganisation project.... :roll:

Cheers

Kim

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:49 am

I also think about getting better switches on some of my stationary power tools since recently I had to pull the connector plug of my drill press with my feet for having both hands occupied... :lol:
Kim wrote: [...], but 'Hands free' OFF is what I was referring to as a 'safety stop switch' [...]
This is what google found for me when searching for "Hands free OFF" :
Hands_free_OFF_(google-results).gif
Hands_free_OFF_(google-results).gif (9.26 KiB) Viewed 33183 times
:?
Not really what I was looking for.
Last edited by charangohabsburg on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8) Must be a middle eastern page?....'You steal from my shop, I cutta you hands off for free!'

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:17 am

Cheap & dirty solution to upgrade a safety stop switch with a paddle (A modification I have made a few years back. The original tiny and recessed red stop button actually was more often than not a hit & miss endeavor! :lol:
2014_P7700_2250-53-2.jpg
2014_P7700_2250-53-2.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 31553 times
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Nice large target Markus and it looks like it is non-slip as well :cl

Steve