Respirators

MSDS Sheets or even stories of something stupid you've done in the workshop.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Respirators

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Can Anyone suggest a mid to high range US made respirator for fine wood dust particles (with option for Nitro Spraying (i.e. different filters))? I'm heading to New York for a month and I figured I'd order one and pick it up when I arrive in the U.S. along with other tonewood goodies.

Stuart

I found with my last respirator that the company in Aus went bust and stopped making filters. So preferably a company that prides itself on respirators haha.

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Respirators

Post by Nick » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:52 am

I use a 3M brand respirator Stu, cant remember off hand what filter cartridges but I get no vapour smells when spraying at all and the replaceable filter cartridges are readily available locally. Personally I'd stick with something you can get parts/cartridges for locally & not have to send to the States for everytime, so maybe look locally first to see what is available to you then try & find the same one when in NY, although with the US $ the way it is at the moment I'm picking there won't be that much difference in price to the Aussie price.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:58 am

If I was to go for one, then the options are either an air fed one. No need for filter cartridges, or a 3M brand that does use them. You can get 3M products in virtually every corner of the world, and not going out of business any time soon.

Your air fed one is going to be pricey. 3M cartridge type will be a fair bit less, but then you have the ongoing cost of filters.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks guys I will look into it locally and see what I come up with. Totally forgot 3M did respirators. I just figured there would be more of a selection in the States. Filters aren't a very expensive thing to ship I guess but you are right would be a pain to have to source them from the US every now and again. Anything with the word safety in it has a ridiculous price tag so will do some shopping around to get a good price.

Stu