Rotisserie Spray Jig

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

seeaxe
Blackwood

Rotisserie Spray Jig

Post by seeaxe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 pm

I guess the point of these forums is to show eveyone else what you are doing, in case its useful, so here goes...........

When I was spraying the guitars I was building (with spraycans, dont have a compressor), I had problems with runs and having to hold them still, tried all the tips in the books, but I still ended up trying to hold the guitar while I sprayed it. What I wanted was something that held the body vertical to spray, then flat after I had sprayed the top and back, so I could a decent coat on and not have runs.

So I built myself a rotisserie....

That was a bit rough so I made a refined version

This is the other end, I built a handle so I could rotate the body without touching it. The wing nuts on the threaded rod act as a clamp once I had finished and kept the whole thing stiff or loose, depending on what I needed.

I found I could spray both the sides when the body was flat, then tilt it so the back was vertical, then 180 degress to spray the sound board, then lay the sound board face up, so I got no runs.

It worked pretty well for me, obviously a lot less sophisticated than some of the paint shop jigs I have seen on the forum, but hopefully some of the less well equipped might find this useful.

It probably cost about $20 in threaded road and wing nuts and $1 of scrap ply. It folds away and hangs in the ceiling!

Cheers

Richard
Richard

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:18 pm

Very cool Richard, a simply and effective solution 8)

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Never seen a jig like that one Richard. Great idea for those having trouble spraying.

It's great to see that your jumping right in and participating. It makes for a more enjoyable community, and I'm already thinking that your jib might just be the ticket holding the instrument while pore filling with epoxy.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:36 pm

That's a neat little setup, Richard. Well done on that.

Everyone has their different ways to make the job easier and
this is no exception. Had you made one out of steel, you could have cooked the roast with it too. !!!!!

I don't have anything to show as for jigs.
I use a couple of hangers through the tuner holes for a vertical hung setup. Each to their own I say.

cheers, Stu

Localele

Post by Localele » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:04 am

Hello Richard , It just goes to show that simple is often best and of course if it is homemade and works well it is even better.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:23 am

Richard, I love it! Simple and yet I have not seen it done. Most folks attach a surrogate neck, but the rotisserie looks much better for spraying.

Thanks for showing this!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!