The "Little Wonder" knob puller - no rude remarks,

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

The "Little Wonder" knob puller - no rude remarks,

Post by hilo_kawika » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:23 am

There was a time when I installed pickups and volume controls on those of my instruments that customers chose to have so done. Sometimes knobs go on more easily than they are removed, hence the knob puller. I don't claim that the idea is completely original - this is just my take on it.

The first photo shows the basic component parts of the puller:

A piece of ~3" long x 2-2.5" diameter PVC pipe, a piece of triangular cross-section aluminum tubing, a piece of 1/4x20 threaded rod ~3" long, a washer, nut and wingnut to fit the rod, and a couple of pieces of 1/4" plywood to cap the PVC pipe.

The top of the aluminum tubing is drilled and threaded to fit the rod, and a lock nut applied to keep it in place. The bottom surface of the tubing is drilled out with a 1/2" drill and hacksawed from the side so that a 1/2" wide slot is produced.

The plywood is cut into two different diameter circles, one to fit the inside of the pipe and the other the size of the outside diameter. The two are concentrically glued and a 5/16" hole drilled in the circle center. The washer is glued to the hole to reduce wear on the plywood.

It is important that the threaded rod be long enough so that the lower surface protrudes sufficiently to slip under the bottom edge of the knob.

It would also be prudent to pad the lower edges of the PVC pipe with split plastic tubing or a covering of the user's choice.

If desired, I can bring along several bits of this aluminum tubing to Playmakers. PM me if so desired...

aloha,

Dave Hurd
http://www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:54 am

Very handy David, thanks for sharing 8)

Cheers

Kim

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:37 am

"Little wonder" alright. Little wonder I haven't thought of it before. I have used that plastic strap that is used for packing boxes before but next time I get a stubborn one on a repair I will be knocking up something similar Dave. Well done.

Jim

Two heads are better than one, unless your asking someone for a date.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:20 pm

Does it need lubricant....
Sorry David I couldn't help myself

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Advertise a "knob puller" on ebay and you can probably sell 1000 of them before sundown. :D

Ron

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Now I wish I had thought of that Ron, but I'm pretty sure that Hesh is our resident knob puller. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia