Binding Router, an oldy but a goody

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Binding Router, an oldy but a goody

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi, after seeing Lillian’s binding router jig, and mentioning how impressed I was with it, she asked about mine, so here it is, warts and all. Binding channels were the most challenging part of the job for me years ago and I’d tried many ways to overcome the problems. This, although bulky has worked well for me over the past 7-8 years. There was not much to go on back then, the idea is a bit dated now I suppose but I’ll show it anyway. There are ways I could improve it but at the moment I’m happy.

The photos should tell the story: Two steel sleeves slide up two steel shafts. The router has a spring taking the weight off the job, this is adjustable. I have two of the body holder jigs, one is set up for the back radius and one for the front so I just route one face then flip the body over onto the other jig to route the other face. This allows me to keep the surface to be routed as level as possible.
I also use the same jigs at the bench for holding the body off of the bench surface when sanding or scraping, or any job that need the body held firm.

The array of bearings and bolts on the board above the router are related to whatever channel and type of binding or purfling I am routing. The bolts have been modified and drop into the routers depth gauge for quick set up of cutting heights and the bearings make up a set, for cutting the channels depth to match the sample binding or binding / purfling combination hanging with that set. The large hole at the back of the cutter is the dust extractor port. Again there are lots of recycled materials in this project. I am happy that the unit is very stable with no side to side or back to front movement. I can also route my pegheads on it for bindings. Hope somebody get something out of this, just another way to get the job done.

Thanks for looking.
Taff

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:44 am

Thanks, Taffy. A bunch of good ideas in there!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Nicely done Taffy. All scrounged too I'd bet. You come up with some of the most amazing things.