Saddle Slot Routing Jig

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Saddle Slot Routing Jig

Post by Allen » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:03 pm

After some recent discussion on angling the saddle slot back 7 - 9 degrees, and needing a better set up to route the saddle slots, I embarked on building a new jig, based on some ideas that I got from a trip to Albany and seeing what Maurice was using. And as I don't own a milling machine, but have a laminate trimmer, as most of us do, I thought that you might find this usefull.

Starting off I size my bridge blank and do some basic layout.

Here is a profile shot of the new jig. You can see that I've cut a ramped base that is about 7 degrees. When the slot is cut, it will be cut 7 degrees back towards the bridge pins. The parts of the jig that don't move are glued together. Those that do move have some threaded inserts with cap head bolts holding the adjustable parts.

I made the jig to take a variety of sizes of bridges, I need a shim to bring these particular bridges up to be able to cut the saddle slot, so you can see that sitting on top of the ramped base.

Now the bridge blank is clamped into the jig, with the center line lined up. My laminate trimmer came with a 10 mm pattern collet, so I cut an appropriate sized slot in some scrap perspex for the saddle slot.

Then it's just a matter of making several light cuts to get to the required depth.

Then some more shaping and drilling the bridge pin holes.

My camera battery died so I don't have any pictures of the finished product before it was glued onto the guitar, but you get the idea.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Nice one Allen. That is really clear and makes perfect sense. I have a similar jig for a Dremmel and I am sure I could adapt the sloping base idea to achieve the same result. Thanks for the tute.
Mark.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:04 am

Nice Allen. And timely too. I'll be starting this one just as soon as I get done with the neck.