Sanding bench

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

John Steele
Blackwood

Sanding bench

Post by John Steele » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 pm

This is my version of a cheap down draft sanding table. I have limited space in my garage but also like to be tidy. I think you guys refer to it as "Heshitus" :lol: (sorry Hesh. I am truely envious) Basically I had some leftover peg-board (.25") and sandwiched it up to match my bench top, which was conveniently .75". I used simple .25" bolts to align things and then screwed down the layers to my bench frame.
Now comes the cheap part; Had some leftover cardboard from a large box. I used that to enclose the bottom of the bench (printed side in, very shiny and smooth) I then cut a hole on the bottom to attached some leftover plastic fittings, ran a length up thru the top. Caulked everything, and attached to my dust collection system. (A shop vac would work, too.)
I'll be dipped if it doesn't work half bad! The pics add a sense of scale and hopefully any important details I left out. I ended up covering some of the holes to increase air flow and because I only needed that much area.
Cheers!
J
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Nicely done John.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Well done John and so many talents,

I am particularly taken by the optical illusion you created for impact so whilst scrolling down the second image to where the holes of the pegboard are closer to the lens, they actually appear to be increasing in size which gives a 'zooming in' effect as the image moves down the screen, very clever. 8)

Cheers

Kim

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:05 am

Nice idea John. Solving problems without leaving the shop is always satisfying.

My version uses 1/2" grid plastic "eggcrate" material that's normally used as a light dispersant for fluorescent lights. Readily available from the hardware store. I found it necessary to make a cardboard/plexiglass hood around it to get sufficient draft through the mesh - perhaps because the gridding was too coarse compared with yours.

aloha,

Dave Hurd
http://www.ukuleles.com
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:11 am

Kim wrote:Well done John and so many talents,

I am particularly taken by the optical illusion you created for impact so whilst scrolling down the second image to where the holes of the pegboard are closer to the lens, they actually appear to be increasing in size which gives a 'zooming in' effect as the image moves down the screen, very clever. 8)

Cheers

Kim
Thank christ for that! I thought there for a minute that I'd be making my first ever visit to the opticians :shock:

Nice easy but effective idea there John :wink: looks like it'd work like a charm.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:18 pm

One way to increase air flow when your sanding something smaller is just to toss a piece of paper over some the table that isn't needed.

Great idea by the way. Thanks for sharing that.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia