"Williams"-style binding channel router jig

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

tim mullin

"Williams"-style binding channel router jig

Post by tim mullin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:29 am

Hello all:
As my first contribution to the forum, I thought I would share my rendition of the "'D.E. Williams" binding channel router jig. It's got to be my favourite non-commercial tool in the shop.

I pretty much followed the instructions given on Williams' web site: http://www.dewguitars.com/BindingJig/Binding%20Jig.htm . Perhaps the hardest part to source is the UHMW plastic "donut" -- I used UHMW bought from Lee Valley Tools on a visit to Canada, and the machining was done on my drill press and router table.

I like the jig, because the guitar remains stationary and I guide the router with my hands -- seems more natural than the other way around, and I feel I have absolute control while ensuring that the router is always dead vertical.

There are two parts, the carriage, and the articulated, telescoping swing arm that holds the router. The carriage is clamped to my bench when I need it, and the arm is screwed to an indexed position on the bench top ...

The guitar is secured in the carriage with the soundboard level (ensures on my guitars that the sides are vertical). The arm reaches all edges to be cut.

The router rides on the UHMW "donut" so that it is not affected by curvature.

Also makes routing of headstock binding channels easy -- you can always see what you're doing ...

The only "con" to the jig, is that it takes up considerable space for storage when not in use, but I think that's a minor point.

Hope that helps someone!

Tim
Last edited by tim mullin on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:10 am

Welcome to the forum Tim, good to see another "Kai Wai" joining the forum. Good first up post too, pictures, information what more could we ask :lol: :lol: Looking forward to your comments & contributions to this little corner of the Luthiery planet 8)
Nice binding jig, I can see what you are saying about the 'con' tho! it does tend to take up space but looks like it cuts nice and square which, after all, is the main aim of a binding jig.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

tim mullin

Post by tim mullin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:05 am

My "Fox"-style bender and forms also take up a lot of space -- more than the binding jig -- but I'm glad I've got it. Both collect dust on top of a tall cabinet when not in use, so they don't really get in the way.

Localele

Post by Localele » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi Tim,and welcome. Just whack a shelf up high on the wall and stick this and other useful things on top.You can never have too many shelves.Looks like a good jig to keep around so I suppose I will have to steal your idea.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Tim. And great first post. Look forward to more of them.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:44 pm

Welcome the ANZLF Tim,

Good to have yet another active member on board, looking forward to your input.

Cheers

Kim

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:31 pm

[img]http:www.pegasusguitars.com/Router.jpg[/img]
Having never posted in your forum, I'll see if I have figured out how to post an image and then do another post if it works. If it doesn't, oh well!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:35 pm

I've changed the permissions to allow you to post a picture Bob. You should be good to go now.

Welcome to the forum.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Allen- Sorry I did not follow through on the post. Over the last few weeks I've only had a few hours when my connectivity worked. I'm working on it. I'll be back! Thanks, Bob G.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:11 pm

Welcome Tim and Bob!

Tim I use the exact same jig and love it. You're right it takes up some space but that can be easily remedied by simply moving to a new shop with a house that comes with it... :D

My Williams jig was made by Don himself and he also signed it for me. :)

Not that I would try this but it's been said that one can route a guitar blindfolded with this jig its so very easy to use.

Welcome aboard guys.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:19 am

Hesh1956 wrote:Not that I would try this but it's been said that one can route a guitar blindfolded with this jig its so very easy to use.
Might make for an interesting binding channel! It's my fingers/hands I'd be more worried about using this 'blindfold' technique :shock:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Localele

Post by Localele » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:03 pm

What brand is that router bit Tim ? It seems to have a long screw for the bearing or has it been modified? Thanks for posting this as it prompted me to get one built as well.

Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:28 pm

It looks to be the LMI bit and bearing set Micheal. Same one that I have.

I think it's probably the best for doing ledges on guitars, because you don't have to think about which ledge you're going to cut first, the one for the purfling, or the binding.

With the short cutter like Stew Mac sells, you pretty well have to do the purfling first then the binding channel, or you don't have a spot on the side to reference off of.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

tim mullin

Post by tim mullin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:02 am

Yes, the bit pictured on my jig is from LMII.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:34 am

Allen M8 Stew-Mac has fixed their binding router bit set so that it no longer matters if you do the purfling channel first or not. They added a simple brass spacer that prevents the business end of the bit from falling into the binding channel if you cut the top purfling channel first.

I have both bits mostly because my Stew-Mac one started getting dull and I am too lazy to sharpen it. I do like the LMI set better with more bearing choices in the standard package - but we do pay for that too....

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:24 pm

Yah, Micheal told me that it's been updated. I've had my LMI one for about 3 years now, so forgot what I paid for it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't cheap. I just got the standard bearing set, and really haven't seen any need to go out and purchase the other set offered.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Localele

Post by Localele » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 am

started getting dull and I am too lazy to sharpen it
How do you get any work done Hesh if you can't spend 30 secs. rubbing a router bit on a diamond plate.
The jig works great and makes a tedious job easy.

Binding channels cut

Silver ash binding installed
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".