Some jigs

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Some jigs

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Hey, here is my take on a few jigs.

The first is just a modification to the neck mortise and tenon jigs usually seen. Most seem to use spacers under the neck to set the angle of the neck tenon. I added hinges and two locking thumb screws to the top section so I can set it at any angle. Works great.

I cut the heal angle on the drop saw then set the jig accordingly and rout away. The truss rod rout fits over the strip down the centre to keep everything lined up.

The template in there at the moment is the SM one but i have just made a wider mortise template for my archtop.

Next is a table saw jig for cutting fingerboard tappers and various potentially risky neck cuts. It runs in the mitre slot with a precision mitre bar to eliminate slop.

This side of the jig has two pins that fit into centre holes in my FB stock. The clear plastic template is used to find the best centre line in my stock and line up the holes. The pins ride in adjustable slots that mean I can dial in any nut and saddle width I want. Cut one side, flip it over and cut the other and the holes will give you a perfect centreline on your fret board. Plus you don't need to put your hands anywhere near the blade.

The same holes are used to line up the FB on the fret slot template jig. Here you can see I use bits of bamboo skewer which are a wedge fit into the FB. Holds it steady for cutting slots on the TS or in a mitre box. I also use the same pins to hold the FB in another jig for hand radiusing with sanding blocks and for lining up inlay. The next thing to do is add some registration pin holes for gluing it to the neck al la the OLF jig.

the other side of the TS jig has blocks that run in T-track with hold-downs on top. By clamping the neck to this I can true up the head-stock face and the fingerboard gluing surface safely and accurately. You would never attempt these cuts with out a jig like this unless you were insane.

please let me know if i have not explained anything properly and i'll put up some more pics.

Cheers
Dom

You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:24 pm

Some eloquent solutions here Dominic, thanks for posting. I like your neck tenon jig especially. I have a similar jig but employ the tapered spacers you mention, but as you rightly point out different angles require different spacers. The hinged method would cover all angles much easier :D :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks Nick,
The real benefit in the neck jig comes when going from flat top to archtop because the angles are so different.

I really get into jigs. I'm a big fan of T-track and other jig making things. Rockler and Woodcraft have cool jig making things pretty cheap.

I got some hardened steel drill inserts for a jig to drill neck bolt holes for a couple of bucks. I also gets lots of ideas from Shop-notes and other woodworking mags. All very exciting.
Dom

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Some great use of the table saw there Dom. I'm using something I saw on Sylvan Wells site for tapering the fret board, but you do want your wits about you when you use it. Yours has a much safer feel about it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Localele

Post by Localele » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:53 am

Great work Dominic. It really is simple when you are shown how.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Hey Dom,

Great work thanks for posting, I do love jigs. :)

Your neck jig is much the same as mine - it just made sense to me to make it fully adjustable too.

I really need to investigate the benefits of the tablesaw. Mine sits in a corner looking lost and lonely for most of the time but your jigs have inspired me to put it to better use.

Cheers!

Jeremy.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:01 pm

Hey Dom,

Great set of jigs and thanks for posting.

I have been meaning to get hold of some Incra "T" track and a mitre guide etc as they look to be the best on the market. It is expensive gear though but like most things, you only get what you pay for i guess.

However it does seem that some times a company can build a reputation based upon a few things they make very well in their range and then charge the rolls royce price for the rest of their lines which are in reality pretty much run of the mill.

On that note, is there any specific products that you would recommend in their range over others and, does anyone else here have experience with quality alternatives that may offer equal function at a lesser price point?

Not that i'm a tight wad or anything you understand but...hey, wait a minute, yes i am :D

Cheers

Kim

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi Tight Wad, err I mean Kim KIM!! Did I type that out loud?? :lol:

Incra make premium gear there is no question. I have to agree though for all the precision engineering and machining; it does seem very expensive. I mean, lets face it - the manufacturing to demanding tolerances is still done by computer numerical control. It's not as though they are hand finished or something. Once the design is created, programmed, refined and finished, the machine just pumps them out from quality raw material... I guess this could be viewed from the other side - like a tongue in cheek advertisement for them! Just because they are sooo good and do everything sooo perfectly, they expect to charge for it too??? Perhaps the materials and time to achieve this level really do add up... who's to know?

Anyway, there aren't too many competitors so they can charge what they like. The competitors they do have are similarly priced too. For what it is worth, it depends on what you are looking for particularly. Jessem (http://www.jessem.com) make similar nice high end products but not really jig making equipment while Kreg (http://www.kregjig.com) also do a good job and indeed come in a bit cheaper. They do have a range of t-track and fittings so may be worth a check. All are US or Canada based.

There are a few products appearing from Taiwan, but I'm not sure of a current supplier and quality as yet. Perhaps in time this will change.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:28 pm

I have to leave for work now, but when I find my way back home tonight I'll dig out a link to a place that I found for jig parts. For what I was looking for it was way cheaper than Rockler or Woodcraft and the quality seems at least as good as theirs.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:25 am

Hey guys, I got the Incra track and hold downs on sale. But most aluminium places have track much cheaper than incra or kreg. The jigs in the pic use plain track. Just as good, its just not a sexy colour. The good thing about kreg track though is it is not as deep as the incra so its better for mounting flush in 18mm ply or mdf.

I got a bunch of T bolts and hold downs and knobs etc from Timbecon. I also use their knock down fittings such as lag screws, t nuts and knock-down bolts. The black hold downs in the pic are much cheaper than the incra ones and reach further. They just don't have all the hardware. You don't need lots of them and they will last for ever so they are not that exxy. You could get all the bits you need for a bunch of jigs for less than a tin of nitro. And far less than a trip to hospital.

Jeremy, table saws are great once you work them out.

Allen has come up with some great uses for his table saw. I think a 'What can you do with a table saw' thread would be useful. I will get some things together this weekend and hopefully others will also chip in.

Cheers
Dom

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:44 pm

You'd have to kill me to get me to part with my table saw. Pretty well an essential piece of equipment in my shop. Wiith a selection of blades and some lateral thinking with jigs, the possibilities seem endless. I think a table saw thread would be a hell of an idea.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:24 am

Well it seems the place I was getting my jig supplies from wasn't recession proof. Dang! I