Cutting veneer strips

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

John Steele
Blackwood

Cutting veneer strips

Post by John Steele » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:33 am

I came accross this idea on the internet (Joe Woodworker, I think) Anyway, having been frustrated by the results of cutting thin strips with a sharp edge, I thought I would take a chance and make one. Pretty standard jig stuff, base is 1/2" ply with a simple pine runner that fits smoothly in the tablesaw miter slot. Two toggle clamps hold the top cap on. A slotted fence allows for changing the widths of the strips.

Pop the cap on and throw the toggle clamps
Run it through the saw. I have been using my stew mac fret blade, but will probably invest in a veneer type blade.
here's the cut, hope it has enough resolution to see the results:

About 10-15 minutes later I have a nice little stack. These are all about 3/16" wide.
The secret of this jig seems to be the zero clearance and the top cap, so make sure you cut your sled's slot with the blade you will use. Mine is set up to cut 36" length strips of veneer that is .02" thick. Any fuzz can be dressed by carefully pulling the strip through some 320 sandpaper. I am pretty happy with the results. Venner cutting is now no big deal...
John
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks for that simple solution John! Like you I tried cutting with a straight edge and was never happy when the blade would follow the grain runoff.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.