Vacuum Pump Build

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Re: Vacuum Pump Build

Post by Kim » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:53 pm

When we first moved in to our old house back in the early 1990's I opened the meter box and was surprised to see what looked to be a brand new 440v 3 phase meter surrounded by old style ceramic fuse wire holders. Not a leakage switch to be seen at all. Further investigation showed that 'all' of the wiring from the back of the meter throughout the entire house was old cloth insulated red and black 32v geni wire housed in metal conduits within the wall cavity.

I poked my head through the manhole to inspect the roof cavity and with a torch followed a line of dead pigeons from one end of the house to the other and back to the box. Yep there where several places where the cloth insulation had rotted through and shorted on the metal conduits, the wires laying bare on top of the ceiling joist waiting for their next victim.... Glad it was not me, it pays to look before you leap when you first buy an old house, someone should have told all those chard birds.

Cheers

Kim

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Re: Vacuum Pump Build

Post by liam_fnq » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Sorry Dom, I thought you meant switches as in light switches, machine switches, circuit breakers etc. Power points and plugs of course have active, neutral, earth.

This misunderstanding is a prime example of why taking 240V wiring advice from an internet forum is a bad idea. It's just too easy to get confused. Remember, just because it works doesn't mean it's safe.

Getting a 240V boot ruins your day. trust me.

I'm getting down off my high horse now.

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team PHEW! :shock: . For more information click here.