Space saver guitar vise

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Peter T
Kauri

Space saver guitar vise

Post by Peter T » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:42 am

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

Originally Posted on: Sat Jun 05, 2010

Hi people. I'm new to the forum and have been browsing over the last couple of days. There is a gold mine of info here. This jigs and fixture section of the forum has pricked my interest as it is one of my favorite parts of guitar building. I'm only on my 3rd build and already have a shed full of weird looking machines. A couple of common themes seem to pop up here which are close to my heart. 1- space consciousness (I have only a modest size workshop). 2- budget consciousness (wife and 4 kids). I thought I would start to throw up a few my versions of jigs and fixtures, starting with this low tec guitar vise.
In the stored position it looks like an ordinary under bench draw. Mainly because that basically what it is.

I have adapted a couple of clamps and fixed them to a cork faced piece of mdf. The mdf is only 6mm thick so it easily conforms to the arched top/ back of an instrument.
A couple of old toilet indicator latches (vacant/ engaged) lock the draw into various depth positions. One of the advantages of building (and demolishing) offices for a living, is there is always something getting thrown out that will get my jig brain ticking.

Some extra cork on the sides of the draw and a piece of foam on the bottom enable the guitar to sit down snug into the vise in virtually any orientation including vertical. I have added some external timber blocking to stabilize the draw and in practice it is quite strong. It is important that the draw runners are of good quality.
Some of the advantages I have found - The guitar is held a bit lower than most bench mounted vises which gives a very ergonomic position for most operations. -The draw can be locked into quite an extended position which means that the work piece is very easily accessed from the sides which makes operations such as side scraping a breeze. Alternatively the draw can be locked into a shallow position where an extra piece of padding folded over the bench gives an extra firm grip to guitar. Obviously the best feature I have found is that it instantly disappears from my valuable work space real estate.
Cheers, Pete

ckngumbo
Blackwood

Re: Space saver guitar vise

Post by ckngumbo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:43 am

What a great idea!
Thanks,
Rob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 am

Hey Peter, welcome to the ANZLF Cool

Clever buggers are always welcome here, really love your vice so you qualify.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:46 am

Welcome to the forum Peter, and thanks for making your first post so interesting.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 am

Welcome to the forum Peter. Great piece of 'recycling' there, I like your inventiveness.
Wife & 4 kids :shock: ...and you still get time to build? :lol:

By the way, that work area looks far too clean! :lol: :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 am

has anyone been banned this quickly :lol:

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF recovery team.