Another hand held drum sander

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Another hand held drum sander

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 am

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi Folks, as I was watching the very good Rolling Pin Sander presentation I remembered that back in the late 1970's I have built one of those little jiggers, but not out of wood. For those who have the equipment here is a metal version. It's lasted me 30 odd years tho I have not used it in recent times.

It started out as a length of aluminium pipe about 50mm diameter, in one end is a bearing [from an air cooler] that has a length of 25mm steel bar [air cooler shaft] press fitted into it. The bearing is press fit into the aluminium pipe and secured with the circlip. At the other end of the pipe there is an end plate that has a small shaft turned into it, this could be a suitable bolt that goes in from the inside. I screwed this on flush with the end of the pipe. To add some cushioning I put a layer of rubber around the pipe to lessen any bouncing due to any hard surface contact. The sanding sleeves I make up myself.

img~
img~
img~
img~
img~

I'm sure there is a way to make one using PVC pipe.

Paul B

Re: Another hand held drum sander

Post by Paul B » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:51 am

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:46 pm Post subject:

How do you power it? A hand drill?

And I've just scored myself a good metal lathe, for free... I suppose I'll be turning out one or two of these things once I reacquaint myself with lathes.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:53 am

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:23 am Post subject:

Gday Paul

Here are two pictures that show how I have used this sander. One with a hand drill, and the other shows it chucked in my pedestal drill, the bottom fixing and table is it not shown.
img~
img~

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:56 am

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:41 am Post subject:

Very cool Taffy, but how does one make a sanding sleeve, I have never spliced one myself so what is the process?

Cheers

Kim

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.