Bending Iron

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozwood
Blackwood

Bending Iron

Post by ozwood » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:28 am

Hi All ,

I thought some might like my design for a home made bending iron, As with any electrical device it should be wired by a qualified electrician . I made this Because I don't want naked flames that close to my treasured stash of tonewood, and as I make Guitars only as a hobby and enjoy the "black art" of bending my sides by hand, I can't justify a bending jig, although I do appreciate the benefits they provide. I also made this because mates, who have the commercial bending irons are always complaining of costly blown elements and problems with earth wire corrosion and faults with the controller .

With that in mind I made mine from readily available parts , and scrap components , I've used some mast , but an off cut of oval cattle rail or similar could have been used , the base is ply , I have used heat resistant silicone wire,with an additional layer of fiberglass sheathing, and some fiberglass sheet in between the base and flange should prevent scorching of the base , and most importantly of all a really good earth stud affixed to the flange and properly fixed to the flex , I tried to keep the active wire as protected as possible , with the shortest run into the control box . I have included a Pic of the First one I built for your interest, it was made from stainless. Total cost for the iron was about $65.00 , the replacement elements can be bought from Bunnings for about $8.00 and the Controller is from Jaycar $35.00 the porcelain ends that hold the globe, the flex and Plug are out of an old flood light .

Wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Paul.
Attachments
Mk1.jpg
earth stud.jpg
The all important earth stud.
final unit.jpg
element side.jpg
A 1000 watt halogen globe.
element holder.jpg
control box.jpg
The controller from Jaycar