V drive pulleys.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozwood
Blackwood

V drive pulleys.

Post by ozwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi all,

This maybe old news to many of you , but I'll share my findings anyway. The Smoke in the Motor on my bandsaw escaped recently , a new one from H&F was $300,one of Ebay ,that was a little More HP same RPM was $140, So I braved The Ebay Motor and the Quality seems Fine , Although I did have to Knock up an Adapter plate, Any way I was Thinking that my Pulleys needed a birthday , cause they keep spitting the Key's no matter what I do. So whilst Picking up a Stew Mac parcel from DHL ,I noticed a SKF Bearings and Power Transmission center next Door, and decided to buy some new Pulleys, the Guy was happy to sell me new alloy ones but suggested I use taper locks instead, these are a pulley that take an inner hub that uses a taper system to clamp onto the shaft instead of a grub screw and ultimatley stop any wobble and the resulting key Spitting dead easy to install, and a real winner for my money, a 78 mm and 150mm pulley plus inserts only $56.00 . so If your having Pulley troubles or need new ones Try taper locks, I believe Blackwoods also have a similar Item.

Paul.
Paul .

Kim
Admin

Re: V drive pulleys.

Post by Kim » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Absolutely agree Paul,

When I upgraded the motor on my tablesaw about 2 years ago, I replaced the pulley with a taper lock, not because it needed to be done as the replacement motor came with one of the right size, but it was alloy and I know from experience that it is only a matter of time before things get bad enough to demand a change out. The problem is by the time the user becomes aware there is an issue, chances are that they have already been working with a crap machine for months because the introduced vibration is so gradual.

One other up-grade I highly recommend that is equally as good or probably 'better' than a taper lock pulleys, is a Power Twist Link Belt. These things really knock down the vibration you get from a normal V-Belt and they last forever...IMHO these are a MUST for all tablesaws and great for drill presses and anything that runs a V pulley. Just make sure you buy the correct profile belt, e.g: "A" Type 1/2" etc for your application.

I have found this vendor to be good on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fenner-Drives-Power ... 53e100c254

Check out his Urethane Tires for your bandsaw while you are there, they are a leap forward compared to traditional rubber.

Cheers

Kim

ozwood
Blackwood

Re: V drive pulleys.

Post by ozwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks Kim ,

Will do, wish I had known about those tyres , I've just replaced mine, will keep it in the back of the noodle for Next time.

Cheers ,

Paul.
Paul .