Binding Routing

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Binding Routing

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:15 pm

For years now I have had a selection of bearings for use with my dedicated binding router and a record of which bearings to put on the cutter for the desired size of cut for the binding and purfling I had selected.

However had I decided to use my other “general use” overhead router this time as the instrument, a banjo rim/pot, was the same height all round and did not need the rise and fall feature of the binding router.
I had a new cutter and bearing set for this router and selected the bearing for the binding being used, and started my cut…………well I know the saying “measure twice cut once” but in this instance I did not follow this rule and made the wrong size rebate. So this meant instead of BWB purfling I had to add another white string and make it WBWB, which as it happens suits the job better.

Any way all this brought about the idea that follows to save selecting the wrong bearing again.

The photos show:
the holder for the bearings with their allocated reference letters A B C etc,
the wooden “feeler gauge” type thingy that has a wooden sample of cut each bearing produces with the reference letter
and the jig I made up to quickly hold the wood sample as it passed by the cutter.

Now I can fit the selected binding/purfling into the sample rebate and match this to the bearing referenced on the wood sample.

I had used my previous system for the last 9 years, this works better for me.
DSCF5073 (Small).JPG
DSCF5073 (Small).JPG (40.15 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
DSCF5074 (Small).JPG
DSCF5074 (Small).JPG (39.73 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
DSCF5075 (Small).JPG
DSCF5075 (Small).JPG (32.18 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
DSCF5072 (Small).JPG
DSCF5072 (Small).JPG (33.49 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
Thanks for looking
Taff

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Binding Routing

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:02 am

I like that rebate feeler gauge collection. Very smart and simple. :cl
Taffy Evans wrote: [...] and started my cut…………well I know the saying “measure twice cut once” but in this instance I did not follow this rule and made the wrong size rebate.
That reminds me of "Now I already cut off more three times and it's still short!"
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Binding Routing

Post by seeaxe » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Great post Taffy. I am yet to use my shiny new rebate bearings but the first thing I wil do is make a set of rebate gauges.

The best ideas are always amazingly simple.

thanks for your post and good luck with the banjo........
Richard