Head Slotting Jigs

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kamusur
Blackwood

Head Slotting Jigs

Post by Kamusur » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Remember a post from a while back by a member who was purchasing the Head slotting jig from http://www.luthiertool.com/ the Cnc company who make what looks like top shelf gear, it may have been Bob (not sure).

Has anyone bought/owned or tried this jig out, looking for some feedback from any members and thanks in advance.

Steve

Bob Connor
Admin

Re: Head Slotting Jigs

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 pm

It certainly was me Steve and the jig is worth every cent I paid for it.

I've used it on a couple of headstocks so far and it's impossible to stuff it up.

One thing I did learn was to never use z-poxy for grain filling the inside of the slots. I've been very carefully trying to level it for a month. :evil: The second one I did I used Timbermate.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:55 am

I've got the full gig, as well I gave Chris the dimensions for some slotting templates I wanted for ukes. We ended up getting them right after a couple of goes where he had to re-do the sizes as well as change the adjusting rods in the jig as they wouldn't close up enough for a uke head stock, as well as for my Style 5 parlour. Works a treat now.

If you are going to do a slotted head stock, you must remember to drill the tuner holes first before routing the slots. Otherwise you are going to have blow out problems.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks gents

Also, did either of you buy the bushings and template guides (as spares for down the track) or its an easy local source?

Steve

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:40 am

I received an email from them yesterday. They've been busy and have made some changes.

"Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I posted something. Most of our efforts have been in new and existing products to keep up with the growing demand. I want to tell you about our new website that we have just put up, we want to keep all our product categories under one roof, check it out http://www.luthiertool.com

In the tool catagory we have redesigned the Neck angle jig ( generation II). It was very apparent that the cost of the components were not coming down in price, so we decided to apply technology to this product.

In the CNC category we have just finished the Automatic Tool Changer, and what a difference it makes in production. I have also put together a new screen for Mach 3 and macro's that not only benefits the guitar builder but also allows for a do it your self Automatic Tool Changer. We will release this product later this year.

We will also be concentrating on the Guitar Pick up winding industry and will come out with new innovative tools that allow you to wind and control every aspect of the pickup.

In closing I want to say that I appreciate all of you, your input that you have provided is very important to us and the feed back that we have received is awesome.

regards
Chris
Chris@luthiertool.com"

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:08 pm

I bought templates and bushing guides for steel strings and classicals.

I notice that they now have a 12 string model and templates for non-slotted headstocks.

Hmmm.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:57 pm

I've got the slot head Classical, 6 string Steel and Ukulele. As well as paddle head 6 string guitar which could be used for ukes as well, but I don't bother. Bushings can be had pretty easily from other sources if you should require. Templates when you see them can be pretty easily made if you have a mate with a big ass milling machine :D .
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Steve