Neck set/reset jig.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Neck set/reset jig.

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:01 am

This is a jig that is my take on someone else’s idea from a video I saw 8-10 years ago and been using since 2008, but as is my way I’ve made it far more complex. [I have a saying “if guitar work is not challenging you at any time, build a jig”.

Any way as the pictures show this jig is for creating the correct heal angle so the neck projects to the bridge correctly and the string action is correct. I can use this for new necks that may need some fine adjustment or mainly for neck resets during a repair.

Pic 1 Shows a neck clamped in the jig with the heal lined up to the table at the top.
*I use a very sharp chisel held flat on the table to slice the desired amount off the heal creating the angle required.

The support [neck board] that the neck is clamped to is hinged at the top so it is able to swing in and out, in so doing changing the angle of the neck heal in relation to the flat table.

This adjustable board has two side supports that move in or out to contact the neck sides, holding it in place and allows correct replacement, as well as the clamp.

The clamp was made removable for easy access of the neck and for use on another jig.

The knob shown with two arrows on its face is used to wind the hinged board, holding the neck, in or out to get the desired angle

Looking up from underneath you can see the way I set the desired angle and the locking device for the “neck board”

Also shown is the gauge for setting the angles needed.

Once set up I trim the heal, checking against the guitar body and return to the jig if required and make any adjustments if needed.

I have another jig that clamps to the guitar body and plots the neck angle required. I then use this degree of angle to set up this jig as a starting point.
DSCF0073.JPG
DSCF0073.JPG (95.34 KiB) Viewed 7470 times
DSCF0077.JPG
DSCF0077.JPG (80.16 KiB) Viewed 7470 times
DSCF0076.JPG
DSCF0076.JPG (109.73 KiB) Viewed 7470 times
DSCF0074.JPG
DSCF0074.JPG (93.03 KiB) Viewed 7470 times
DSCF0075.JPG
DSCF0075.JPG (91.08 KiB) Viewed 7470 times
I hope this all makes sense.
Taff

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Neck set/reset jig.

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:52 am

Who cares if it doesn't make sense......it's a work of art and just fun to look at!! :)
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Re: Neck set/reset jig.

Post by simso » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:08 am

I would love to see, if someone has one not a neck setting jig, got a couple of those, but a neck resetting jig, one that allows for the fact the fretboard is still attached and somehow allows one to reprofile the heel pull up point with a power tool like a router, rather than a chisel, this would make neck resets a breeze and super tight
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html