Jet 10-20 Drum sanders failure .

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozwood
Blackwood

Jet 10-20 Drum sanders failure .

Post by ozwood » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi All,

Recently had a failure with my 18 month old Jet 10 - 20 drum sander, the thread in the top support arm stripped out , Has not had a lot of use , I'm still going on the supplied ration of abrasive that came with the machine, I keep it clean and lubricate it regularly, i rang trend , who i purchased it from , who explained the agency was in the middle of changing hands and I would be best to get in contact with Jet Australia, Jet would not return my emails or calls until I posed as some one looking to setup for a new high school, I Set them straight and told them my issue , the best they could offer was to sell me $300 worth of parts to fix it and no real assurance that it would not occur again some time in the future , I suggested that their printed propaganda implied that it was a quality product and that I could expect a longer lifespan than 18 months especially considering that same item now has a 5 year warranty , I was fed some crap about changover of agents in Australia and ther was nothing they could do , Blah , blah blah either way it was going to take 6 weeks to get the required parts in .

A quick search of the net identified it as a common problem , with various fixes used , most on short term fixes, I came across a thread by our newest member TIMBUCK on the UU, which looked like an elegant fix and I have one on the way, any way he has generously given US permission for his fix to be used complete with a drawing of the required fix. The thread alsodescribes what to look for to determine the likelyhood of failure , if you have a Jet 10-20 read the thread http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum ... gn-Problem , you may want to take the pro active approach and get the mod made and installed before failure.

Cheers,
Paul .

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Re: Jet 10-20 Drum sanders failure .

Post by EricDownunder » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 am

What warranty did Trend offer when it was purchased? It sounds to me like they had troubles with JET and got rid of the agency agreement, as I have run my own business for 30years now I personally believe Trend should have followed it through as they were the agency at point of sale I also shop elsewhere from now on if I was treated in that manner, just my 2 bits worth!
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:08 am

Ooow, a clever Ken 8)

Nice fix, its great to see a job well done. Ken obviously takes great pride in what he does.

Thanks for the link Paul

Cheers

Kim

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:48 pm

EricDownunder wrote:What warranty did Trend offer when it was purchased? It sounds to me like they had troubles with JET and got rid of the agency agreement, as I have run my own business for 30years now I personally believe Trend should have followed it through as they were the agency at point of sale I also shop elsewhere from now on if I was treated in that manner, just my 2 bits worth!

Hi Eric,

To be fair Trend did say if I had no joy with Jet to call back and they would go into bat for me, But my experiance is this crap can take lots of calls to chase it all the way through , then a long wait for the parts , and in the end Timbuck's solution was permanent , quick and a lot less aggrivation . But your quite right If I had the Luxury of Time and the patience I think I could have made a case for Replacement at NC.

Cheers,
Paul .

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi All a quick update ,

Modification received , installed and tested . It's super smooth and sturdy should outlast the machine .

Thanks Ken.

Cheers,
Paul .

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Good Job Paul :) handy guy that Tim.

Are you going to have a go at building his Ukeomatic :D
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:43 pm

great to hear all is sorted and I agree it sometimes is better to sort things out yourself
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith