Dust or no dust....that is the question.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Dust or no dust....that is the question.

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:23 am

I took time out to clean out the machine workshop this week and I was surprised how much dust {after quite a few years] had accumulated, even the spiders had trouble getting across their webs for the dust that had settled on them.
This was going to be a man clean, but my wife offered to help so it turned out to be an 8 hour mission “it’s got to be done properly” bla bla! ……….you know the story.

Anyway she learnt the names of all the machines and I learnt that I needed to do a better job of extracting dust, or rather the machine has got to do a better job.

Although four of the dust making machines have a dedicated outlet to them, five of them did not, they had out lets but no dedicated hoses, and as it was a pain to connect them, dust extraction did not always happen unless it was a big’ish job.

So still using one outlet, with all other four machines closed off, it only take about 5 seconds at most to join any one up when needed, one outlet saves the workshop looking like New Year’s Eve with hoses hanging down like streamers.

Anyway here’s the set up using one gate instead of Five.
1-DSCF0298.JPG
1-DSCF0298.JPG (97.52 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
Going to thicknesser
2-DSCF0300.JPG
2-DSCF0300.JPG (101.27 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
Then to spindle sander
3-DSCF0302.JPG
3-DSCF0302.JPG (93.88 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
Then quickly to Disc sander
4-DSCF0303.JPG
4-DSCF0303.JPG (97.33 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
Next to that is the docking saw, this took a bit of working out.
5-DSCF0304.JPG
5-DSCF0304.JPG (107.05 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
And last to the belt sander when used as a thicknesser for pegheads ect.

Talk about spaghetti junction :lol:
Taff

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Dust or no dust....that is the question.

Post by demonx » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:17 am

Trying to get rid of dust is a never ending battle. I usually have to do a airhose and sweep every week and I've got four dust extractors and two room filters, yet the dust still piles up.