intonation jig

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

GregL
Blackwood

intonation jig

Post by GregL » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi,

The 12-string intonation post by Wes Lewis (here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6050#p72270) prompted me to post some pics of a jig I have made. Not very fancy, and I haven't even used it "in anger" yet, but I made up this rig to follow-up this intriquing subject. (In the pics, I have frets set at 1st, 2nd and 12th fret positions).

How does your rig compare Wes?
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (89.09 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
b1.jpg
b1.jpg (99.29 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
c1.jpg
c1.jpg (92.6 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
d1.jpg
d1.jpg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
Thanks GregL.

simso
Blackwood

Re: intonation jig

Post by simso » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Greg, I am intrigued, what is the purpose behind the rig
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi Steve,

I made the rig to try out really fine tuning of intonation. I've read over the years (eg Stephen Delft, Trevor Gore) about intonating the nut so that a guitar would play in tune "better" over a larger part of the fretboard. I've always wrestled with guitars (mostly an old Gibson 12-string that I have) that are intonated just fine when playing in one key, but then not quite when playing in a different key. My rig (I hope) will let me intonate the nut end and the bridge end and see if I can get the strings in a "sweeter" intonation. The rig allows adjustment of the nut end, as well as the bridge end, and the frets are moveable to allow investigation of intonation of any scale length from uke to full-scale bass guitar.
I probably haven't explained it all that well. Maybe do a 'net search on "intonation" or "compensated nut"?

(By the way, have you made any Les Paul templates for sale yet?)

Thanks,
GregL.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Ahh now I get it.

I make compensated nuts, but it did not click to me that is what you were doing.

So correct me if I am wrong, you are setting up a scale length jig, and using a bridge instead of a nut to tweak fine tune an exact position for a string thickness at a specific tuning, example E at the nut end, then visually matching this when cutting a nut or are you using it for better understanding and explaining of compensating a nut and advantages gained from doing so

What do you need as far as a les paul template set
Steve
Master of nothing,

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm sort of doing both (I think) - using an adjustable bridge at the nut end to work out nut compensation so that a stringed instrument plays in tune (or, more precisely, *better* in tune) over the entire length of the fretboard, in any key. Once the intonation is worked out using the adjustable bridge/nut, I would cut a real nut to the same shape. (Note: I haven't got that far yet!)

As far as a Les Paul template set, I hope to try making a Les Paul-type electric guitar (one day) - not *necessarily* exactly Les Paul shape - but generally similar (eg carved top, 2 humbucker, set neck, etc), and I'd like to have templates for neck pocket shape, pickup routes, wiring channel routes, control routes, etc.

Thanks,
GregL.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Easy stuff, will see what I can draw up
Steve
Master of nothing,