Making Radius dishes

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hard Road
Beefwood

Making Radius dishes

Post by Hard Road » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:18 pm

My CNC (desk top) has maximum X cutting area of just on 500mm, is that big enough for a radius dish? What is the standard size of the dish if there is one? Sandpaper disks seem to be around 24 to 25"s, Cheers Paul.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Making Radius dishes

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:09 am

Hi Paul,

It is easier to sand with a generously dimensioned dish.

You could do it in two halves, or use this method which for me yielded good results for radii of 5000 mm and greater, but gets difficult for radii of less than 4000 mm, although I have made a small dish with a 2000 mm radius (200 mm wide and 2.5 mm deep) which did not turn out perfect but still good enough to use.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Paul,

By my calculations, I think you would need about 530mm (diameter) of "active" (ie dished) radius dish to sand dreadnought sides (about 500mm dia for a OO body size) to get the angle on the sides and kerfing for a "normal" domed back/sides joint.

Thanks,
GregL.

timbuck
Myrtle

Post by timbuck » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 pm

We did a compound radius dish on our CNC just for ukuleles...10 ft rad across and 5 ft rad lengthways I found a rectangle shape works great...It dosn't have to be a circle.

Hard Road
Beefwood

Post by Hard Road » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:22 pm

timbuck wrote:We did a compound radius dish on our CNC just for ukuleles...10 ft rad across and 5 ft rad lengthways I found a rectangle shape works great...It dosn't have to be a circle.
Hmmm! I can do that in Vectric using a 2 rail sweep, it's how I do my compound radius fret boards, cheers Paul.