Router Fretboard Radiusing Bits

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

sje-tools
Gidgee

Router Fretboard Radiusing Bits

Post by sje-tools » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:45 am

Hey all,

New on here, usual frequent the Project Guitar forums - but I wanted to drop by here and let you know about my router fretboard radiusing bits. These came about due to a post on Project Guitar regards a router bit which could be used to radius fretboard and since I had contacts with a router bit shop I designed the bits and got them made for folks. That was circa' 2008/9 fast forward to 2015 after sometime away from guitar circuit I have now dusted off the router bit design and got together with a higher quality supplier and re-produced them. Also to ensure the best finish for the hardest woods the cutting blades are produced from K01 carbide which is specifically for use with the hardest woods.

I've read the rules for this forum and I know plugging your own wares is frown on but since no one in Aus or NZ has purchased one previously (sold only to US) no one is going to be on here to recommend them . . . so it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - so I apologies if I am breaking/bending any rules!

So for bending the rules and I am looking for any locally known build shops on here who is willing to test the bits, the only thing I would want in return is a pretty detailed review! (yes you would keep the bit!) :)

If you want to just get in and purchase one they are listed on ebay along with a demo video (my username here is the same as there) - they are priced to sell - I've paid the same price for straight bits previously let alone a custom designed bit!

Currently have 10",12" and 16" radius bits - however if you want any other radius' they can be ordered, I have previously supplied a 9.5" radius bit.

Cheers
Steve

sje-tools
Gidgee

Re: Router Fretboard Radiusing Bits

Post by sje-tools » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 am

FYI - 16" - now sold out.

Still 1 x 10" and 1 x 12" - available.

Cheers

timbuck
Myrtle

Post by timbuck » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:37 am

Looks as if the Ukulele boys like these, mainly the 16" rad..So i gave them the link..Nice idea :cl From one toolmaker to another.

See here http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/sho ... ius-cutter

sje-tools
Gidgee

Post by sje-tools » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:37 pm

timbuck wrote:Looks as if the Ukulele boys like these, mainly the 16" rad..So i gave them the link..Nice idea :cl From one toolmaker to another.

See here http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/sho ... ius-cutter
Much appreciated - thanks for the heads up also as I'll stock a few more 16" bits this time - the 10" and 12" were the popular ones before! :)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:45 pm

sje-tools wrote:
I've read the rules for this forum and I know plugging your own wares is frown on but since no one in Aus or NZ has purchased one previously (sold only to US) no one is going to be on here to recommend them . . . so it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - so I apologies if I am breaking/bending any rules!
If in doubt about your post breaking the rules you can always drop a PM to me or one of the other mods/admins :?
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:14 am

sje-tools wrote:I've read the rules for this forum and I know plugging your own wares is frown on but since no one in Aus or NZ has purchased one previously (sold only to US) no one is going to be on here to recommend them . . . so it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - so I apologies if I am breaking/bending any rules!
"I've read and understood the rules, but I don't care"

Not cool.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:28 pm

I ordered 1 of the 16" radius bits from Steve Evans (No relation to Steve Evans from Beltona Instruments whom Anne and I stayed with when he lived in NZ). I have no problem with what I thought to be a reasonable announcement of the tool on this forum, as well as a generous offer of bits to try. As a working craftsman, I appreciate people who develop new useful tools. I don't want to have to accidentally find out about new things by searching the internet. A luthier forum is a perfect place to hear about new lutherie tools.
I ordered and paid for a 16" bit. I've had it awhile and finally came fretboard making time. I'm in a bit of a different position than most because I sell fretboards from ebony, rosewood, etc. in slotted and unslotted form. For that reason I have lots of various defective boards to play with. I strongly advise that you DO NOT try this bit out on your favorite new fretboard. There is a big learning curve, as far as I can see. After about 3 hours and 7 fretboards, I think I'm close to finding a way for me to use the bit. I strongly believe in the concept of this bit, so I won't give up easily. One thing I know, results are very dependent on your machines, especially squareness of fences, routers, etc.
The test samples I did were all slotted fretboards. In discussions with other builders, the consensus was that the fret slots might chip out. That did not happen for me. I did ebony, keawe (local very chippy wood), and Indian rosewood. Tried the bit just upright in a router table using the bearing, and with the bearing less setup shown in Steve's video. I was unhappy with the results from the router table alone and expected better results from the fence set up. Wrong again! I could not get the fence system to work at all. After playing around with the router and bearing set up, results improved to the point where there was just a small flat left at the center of the fretboard, which cleaned up in seconds on the edge sander.
So, my conclusions are that I like and will use the bit. Still more to learn though. I would like to see the end of the bit be milled closer to the size of the bearing. I think the bit would work slightly better. Could be wrong about that too! I think it may be almost as fast to do the radius by hand, if you take into account set-up time,, but I also think the final results with the bit are better, and most certainly physically easier. Enjoy your building Bob Gleason http://www.pegasusguitars.com
Attachments
DSC_3880.JPG
DSC_3878.JPG

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Bob G. wrote: I have no problem with what I thought to be a reasonable announcement of the tool on this forum, as well as a generous offer of bits to try. As a working craftsman, I appreciate people who develop new useful tools. I don't want to have to accidentally find out about new things by searching the internet. A luthier forum is a perfect place to hear about new lutherie tools.
This one has been worked to death. The forum rules are clear on the matter. If you plan to spruke a product that you have a financial interest in without affording us the courtesy of first checking with the forum mods....then expect to see your post nuked and if you persist.....your account.

Bob..thanks for the review of the product.
Martin