"House" Shaped Brace Gluing Caul

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Woodsy23
Blackwood

"House" Shaped Brace Gluing Caul

Post by Woodsy23 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:30 pm

I made these cauls for gluing "house" or "gable" shaped bracing in a go-bar deck. They worked really well.

If you shape the bevels of the braces with a 22.5 degree bevel router bit (or any other angle), they are easy to make at the same time from a piece of cheap 42 x 19 pine. Just put a 22.5 degree bevel on the two edges, split off the 10mm wide pieces from each end and glue them together on their narrow face. Then cut into 20mm lengths on a band saw. A 9mm high bevel seemed to work well.

The following diagram illustrates the construction.
House Brace Caul.jpg
Here they are in use. It surprised me how well they grip to the brace. Great if you're clumsy like me and bump the braces often.
P1020416.JPG
Richard

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: "House" Shaped Brace Gluing Caul

Post by Dave M » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:20 am

Hey I like that. It is not always obvious how to cut a steep vee in a piece of timber.

I shall probably use that in other applications. But like you I do find shaping the braces before glueing much more satisfactory. So easy to dig a chisel into the top.

Dave
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:41 am

I use similar cauls for gluing in my back braces but my cauls are lengths of scrap MDF with a slot cut in them using a veining cutter. A vee shaped slot means the entire face of the slot is in contact with the brace but with a straight slot as long as the bottom of the slot is clear of the brace top the two sides of the slot make contact with the brace and it works.
IMG_0789.jpg
Martin

Classitar
Gidgee

Post by Classitar » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 am

Very nice - thank you!

Anthony