Neck thicknessing

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Neck thicknessing

Post by Dave M » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:12 am

For those without access to a safety planer this will allow a router to be used.
The neck is raised the amount you want to taper at the head end, secured with a bolt at the tenon plus wedges at the head end as it is deliberately wider than the width of the neck which will vary.
You can't get to the 10 th fret (or12) because the heel is in the way but it is still useful.

You can do the headstock as well. This is not tapered and is supported under the neck by a big wedge then wedged very firmly into the jig. Not ideal since things could slip but it has worked OK for 3 or 4 necks so far.
Attachments
Thick jig 4.jpg
Thick jig 3.jpg
------------------
Dave

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Neck thicknessing

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:13 am

Nice, but give me a handplane and spokeshave anyday.
Quicker, quieter, less messy, more fun :p .

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:07 pm

LOL.....youve got a Trend T5 router..same as my main workhorse machine.
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:55 am

Actually Martin it is a really old Elu which I think was one of the earliest design of routers. It is still going because for years it sat in a cupboard while I was too busy commuting and working to get into the workshop!

And yes I have almost finished shaping that neck. I have been running pretty much in parallel with your build on a Gore Falcate SS. Just a bit more shaping and the end cap and I'll be spraying.

Dave
Attachments
Elu.jpg
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Dave M wrote:Actually Martin it is a really old Elu which I think was one of the earliest design of routers. It is still going because for years it sat in a cupboard while I was too busy commuting and working to get into the workshop!

And yes I have almost finished shaping that neck. I have been running pretty much in parallel with your build on a Gore Falcate SS. Just a bit more shaping and the end cap and I'll be spraying.

Dave
Interesting router....the base plate and general design are very similar to the Trend T5.

Yes..youre making good progress on your build. I envy you with that nice simple volute.....Ive been agonizing over the volute on my build, with the angled nut and asymmetrical headstock shape there are a whole lot of options
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:48 am

I just run it through the bandsaw. Quick and easy.

Home made template to get a line, cut outside the line and then rasp back to it before shaping the profile.
IMG_2791.JPG