Dedicated Machines...

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Dedicated Machines...

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:17 pm

Hi, the other week I finished setting up my new binding channel router. But having fitted a fine depth adjustment device to it meant it was now a dedication machine. I like that idea, but it meant I had to buy another router/trimmer.
Some time ago, in an effort to save on my growing number of routers, I fitted Makita trimmer bases to the many jigs and machines I had. This meant that one machine was easily utilized for many different applications.
2-IMG_0659.JPG
2-IMG_0659.JPG (142.33 KiB) Viewed 6211 times
A new Makita trimmer is around $340, ouch. After a bit of research, I found that the corded Ryobi trimmer had exactly the dimensions, fitting the same base perfectly. It was just under $100, it’s now my ” roving router”. As good quality and a bit down on power, but good for the use I give it.
Taff
Taff

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Dedicated Machines...

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:39 am

Thanks for that comparison information Taffy. I use mostly Makita power tools and have had a bit of a snobbish attitude to Ryobi but without any real justification for my bias. It is interesting that the fittings are interchangable, and it makes a lot of sense to go with the cheaper option for a dedicated tool if it will get the job done just as well.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Re: Dedicated Machines...

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:13 pm

Hi, you are welcome, Mark. Yes, I have been a Makita fan since my early days and still use my Makita thickness Jionter I bought in 1979.
I have 11 Makita tools in the workshop, but these have now been overtaken by 17 Ryobi corded and battery tools. None have let me down and the up to 7-year warranty is attractive.
Cheers Taff
Taff