QLD maple silkwood & paulowinia LP style carvetop

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

QLD maple silkwood & paulowinia LP style carvetop

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri May 24, 2024 5:32 am

Here's another guitar I finished recently that I also haven't posted here. This one I built as a bit of professional development and a fear that I would be needed to cover for the instructor of the solid-body classes at some stage. I've made a couple of electrics but I thought a carve top and a set neck build with an instructor's mindset would be worthwhile. And it was if I am to be honest.

I don't think I'll be building another electric anytime soon but the carving was certainly fun. Soldering and wiring has to be my least favourite thing in the world and I wish I had screwed down the cavity covers instead of making my unsightly wiring so accessible with magnets.

The carve top is QLD maple silkwood on top of a chambered paulownia body making for a very light guitar at 3.2kgs. It has a silver quandong neck, SM golden age hardware, evo frets and a hard-French polish.

The one real regret I have is I got talked into putting jumbo frets as a 'proper les paul should'. Basically that has made the guitar unplayable for me as I pull anything I play out of tune and it sounds like a horrible mess  :lol:
QMLP 1.jpeg
QMLP 2.jpeg
QMLP 3.jpeg
QMLP 4.jpeg
QMLP 5.jpeg
QMLP 6.jpeg

youtu.be/b2KN-Z5ZR9c
Trent

joel
Blackwood

Re: QLD maple silkwood & paulowinia LP style carvetop

Post by joel » Sat May 25, 2024 9:13 am

"play out of tune" - just like a *real* LP!!!

Wouldn't worry too much about the wiring. It's tough to get electric guitar wiring looking neat and tidy. I think shoddy looking wiring is actually part of the mojo.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: QLD maple silkwood & paulowinia LP style carvetop

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed May 29, 2024 11:07 am

Excellent result for an electric guitar build especially since you mainly build acoustic guitars.

Wayne