Blackwood MJ

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Blackwood MJ

Post by Dominic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:12 am

Hey, I have also just finished this MJ that i made from OLF plans. I love the design. The sound is really punchy and powerful but not boomy like a dred and really balanced. Easy to play because of the deep waist.
Cheers
Dom

You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

xray
Blackwood

Post by xray » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:22 am

That is one curvy lady! it looks awesome and its nice to see a gorgeous piece of blackwood that isn't fiddledbacked for a welcome change. I think the finish looks great even though i like a matt finish more, it seems to pick up the timber well. Can you post details of the other timber like the rosette and the top and fretboard. Well done dom

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Dominic, this baby is gorgeous! Just exudes warmth and class, and make me want to reach for it to play it.

I like that shape as well. Touch of modern and touch of tradition.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks guys.

Xray, the BW set came from Gilet as an unfigured set quite cheap. The sides are a beautiful rich orange brown colour that matched the NG RW well. Once I sanded the back I found it had some light figure.

Dennis, it makes me reach to play it too. But then the guttsy sound makes me not want to put it down. This MJ design seems to get a good rap on the OLF.

Cheers
Dom

Specs

The rosette is blackwood.
The bindings are cocobolo
The fingerboard and bridge are madagascar Rosewood
The neck is NG Rosewood with CFG inserts.
The top is Carpathian Spruce.

Here a pic that shows the whole thing. Sorry it is a bit dark. My photography is shite.

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:26 pm

The style is too modern for my taste, but it is one gorgeous guitar. Beautiful wood and finish. Nice work, Dominic.

Ron
Last edited by Ron Wisdom on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Very nice Dominic,

i want to pick it up and have a go as well!
make mine fifths........

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:04 pm

She's got curves in all the right places. I like it. Nicely done Dominic. Any chance of getting a sound clip?

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:19 pm

I agree I like that shape and also i think curves on the front of the bridge is a good idea too. Also I like that light figure in the blackwood...like not over stated.

Jim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:41 pm

Dom,

This guitar troubles me...I want to pick it up and make love to it rather than play it. Far too many curves my friend!!

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Dom, I have to get around to you and have a look & listen. I too am deeply disturbed by what I feel looking at it now. I'm going to get a set of those plans.

The rosette looks familiar. Here's the bouzouki (instrument no.2) I've been putting the first coats on. The plain blackwood is also from Gilet (same set?). Rosette is cut off from the back ringed by BWB. Top is bunya.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Martin, Martin, Martin, what are we gonna do with you? I appreciate your kind? words but I think you may have been out on the rig too long mate. :lol: Better hope your misses doesn't read your lusty post.

Craig, I want make one of those bouzoukis. I'll be interested to hear it sometime.
Dom

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Dominic, that is just georgeous...I really like no bling simple tasteful appointments in a guitar and that guitar of yours is definitely my cup of tea. great work.

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:09 pm

That is stunning, Dominic. :D

The shape certainly seems to be catching everyone's attention,
I too wonder how it'd look in a bikini.

cheers, Stu

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:09 am

I ordered the MJ plans not long after they became available. When they arrived I had to open them up to check'em out. Fran walked by while I was oogling and said "Oooh, I don't like it. Its too round." When she saw the puzzled look on my face she said "But you do don't you?" I blushed just a bit and a small smile quickly danced across my face. When pressed for why, I confessed. The shape reminds me of looking at her back as she is sitting. Curves in all the right places. She didn't say a word. I couldn't translate the look and we haven't talked about it since. It may be a while before I decide to build a MJ.

Thanks for sharing yours Dominic.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:07 am

That shape certainly seems to get a "love-it-or-leave-it" response! I am firmly in the "love it" camp. I think it is much more appealing than a dreadnaught. Dom, I love the clean and tasteful colour combination and the non-fussy look.

How do you and Craig do the rosette running right up to the edge of the soundhole like that? Is it inlayed, so that the cross section in the soundhole shows a spruce/blackwood join? Or is it a full-thickness piece of blackwood glued in there (like a wide soundhole binding)? I like the look of it.
Mark

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 am

Mark, my rosette is inlayed. I didn't think I'd like the visible join and was going to put some thin plastic in the soundhole. Once done though I didn't mind it so much and ended up leaving it as is. The grain of the blackwood is also angled away from the soundboard grain and everyone has delighted in telling me the rosette is crooked - until I lay the body on it's side as it would be when played and then they say it looks cool??

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Tasty, tasty guitar Dominic. I'll look forward to hearing some sound clips of it.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks Bob, I number of people have asked about sound clips. I don't have any recording equipment but would like to try something out. What do you use?
Dom

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Hey Dom,

I know I am late in on this thread but just had to comment what a wonderful looking guitar this is. As others have suggested it's down right sexy and the heel to neck transition looks great blending in well with curves of the body.

Schweeeeet 8)

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:55 am

Great looking guitar Dom my friend! This is the first time I believe that I have seen an MJ once completed and I too really, really like the shape - very cool!

Nice job Dom! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks guys. It is my go to guitar now. I love the way it sits on the leg to play and the sound is nicer than a dred I think.
Cheers
Dom

Cam
Myrtle

Post by Cam » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:11 pm

Nice work Dominic.
I'm not to sure if I like the shape or not, but i love the back and sides - very nice