Tiger Myrtle Guitar

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:43 am

This is the back
Image[/img]
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:40 am

Lovely work, guys! No, have nothing to show, I have not made an instrument from aussie timbers (yet!).

Graham, that is one fine mandolin; so that is tiger myrtle back, yes? It looks faboulous, how do you think it compares to maple?
Arnt Rian,
Norway

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:24 am

Arnt,

Mytle is around the same weight as maple, but rather more brittle and chips out quite readily when carving. The flamed, non-tiger variety can be hard to bend and prone to splitting, but the Tiger bends quite happily.

It just looks so damn nice! I have another 3-4 mandolins worth and a guitar set which will probably become a bouzouki sometime in the future

I do have a 4' plank of 6"x1" very flamed non-tiger which I could swap for something if anyone was interested. Just too pink for my taste

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:45 am

You know how I love this little guitar Hesh! Thanks for posting it here!
I am starting on an L-00 myself ,spruce top ,not black. Nothing against the black top but I just want a nice adi. top. Thanks for helping me with some measurements and so on Hesh ! Mine will Not come close to the beauty of this Tiger! You da man.... :cl :cl :cl
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:04 pm

Graham, I think I might be interested in that flamed myrtle. My daughter wants a pink guitar.

Dunno what I could swap. Got some sets of EIR and a couple of tas blackwood sets.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:49 am

Graham McDonald wrote:This is the back
Very nice Graham, something to aspire to. How did you fit the neck? Is this Campiano's bolts swung through 90 degrees,

Sebastiaan

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Beautiful Instruments

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:53 am

Beautiful instruments guys!!!!

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:04 pm

Neck is like a Strat with two threaded inserts and two machine bolts through the neck block. It would probably look better if I had fitted a cap over the bolts, but I neck got round too it.

Different idea from the 'Cumpiano' barrel nuts, which I reckon I invented anyway 8-) though I am pretty sure he thought of it as well as a development of his pinned tenon. I described the technique in American Lutherie a couple of months before it appeared on his website, but he is much better known than I am so he gets the credit. It doesn't really matter, as its not something that would ever have made either of us money, unless it had been patented and even then it would probably been more work that it was worth.

Paul, drop me an email and I am sure we can work something out about the myrtle. I can take a pic and send it too you

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald