Waddy Thomson's Third Guitar Finished

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WaddyT
Blackwood

Waddy Thomson's Third Guitar Finished

Post by WaddyT » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:07 am

I finished up #3 over the weekend. It's another Romanillos inspired Classical with the following:

B/s - Bubinga
Top - Lutz Spruce
Neck - Spanish Cedar
Bindings - Bloodwood
Fingerboard - Ebony
Bridge - Mad Rose
Tuning Machines - Rubner
Scale - 650 mm

This one sounded really good right off the bench. It actually surprised me a bit. I can hear it changing, though as I have played it over the last few days. It has nice big basses, and strong complex trebles with lots of overtones and sparkle. #2(EIR/German) was that way too, but it has more of a "woody" sound I believe. It's hard to hear a lot of difference between the two - mostly in the nuances of the tone. I still have some cosmetic issues to deal with in my building, i.e., tighter bindings and purflings to sides. I also need to detail better before finishing. It's hard to stop and do that when you are wanting to finish the thing, and move on to another. Anyway, here are some pictures.

Thanks for looking. The album is updated.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:45 am

It's a very classy instrument Waddy. I like this rosette the best of the 3 so far for the colors you've gone with. Nice touch on the bridge tying in the design there as well.

The fret board flourish at the sound hole is a really nice touch. I've got to try something like that soon.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:51 am

Allen wrote:The fret board flourish at the sound hole is a really nice touch. I've got to try something like that soon.
Would you Adam & Eve it! This looks very similar to the end I've just done for the Macca, mine is slightly different (a couple more sharper corners) so as to avoid being accused of copying you Waddy :lol: :lol:

Nice job Waddy, it's a very clean looking guitar and, as usual, well executed. I like the little piece of rosette pattern repeating in the bridge capping, nice touch.
ImageImageImage

How does it structurally differ from you first two (if at all) & if it doesn't, how does the sound compare using the different timbers?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:55 am

Lovely Waddy. Great choice of timbers,

How did you find the bloodwood to work with? I found it a bugger to sand.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:52 am

Thanks guys.

Allen, the 20th fret was an afterthought on my #2 guitar, and I liked it, so I put it on this one too. It was something I did, on a lark, after reading a discussion on one of the forums, and having a friend who plays a good bit, ask me if I would consider it. The way I did it, was just my way of accomplishing the task.

Nick, structurally, it's the same guitar, with the open TB's all the way to the neck, and the 7 fan structure. The top on this one is near 2.5mm in the center around the bridge and to the soundhole, and tapers off to about 1.6 mm or so around the perimeter of the lower bout and up to a point just above the waist. It sounds much like #2 (EIR/German) in sound. I was thinking it might be brighter, with the Bubinga, but it's not.

Bob, it sure is messy to sand, I'll say that, and it doesn't bend worth anything. Every piece broke at one or more places. Fortunately, it repairs invisibly with CA. I ended up bending about 7 pieces. I ripped off the back bindings and purflings and replaced them after cleaning up the ledges some more, and I think, no kidding, only one out of 7 made it through without a total break. What a pain. It does, however scrape very nicely.
Waddy

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:53 am

That is just bluddy beautiful Waddy! soundclips?
make mine fifths........

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Outstanding in all respects Waddy bro!!

Even though I have said this before I really, really like your head stock shape and design - it's very classy.

Great work as always bro.

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Hesh1956 wrote: ... I really like your head stock shape and design - it's very classy ...
Absolutely 8) !!!

Tutorial Please, Waddy??
And while you're at it, where did you score the rosette?
Chiz
John M

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks, all!

Hesh, if you recall, I was working on a prototype headstock for my first and posted it on OLF, and got some tips. I think the tips helped me make it a good design, vs a ho hum one. I get comments on it from everyone who looks at my guitars. It makes me very happy! :D I especially appreciate your comments, as I feel you are discriminating, in your critiques. I hope you will tell me when you don't like something, too.

Sebastian, I'll be working on a sound clip for you guys, and for me. I need to contact my Ringer, as you don't really want to hear me play it. :lmao

John, the rosette is also my own design, and I make them as one offs, since the wood tiles come from off cuts of the back and sides, to tie the whole thing together.
Waddy

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:27 am

WaddyT wrote: ... the rosette is also my own design and I make them as one offs ...
Very impressive rosette design, Waddy ... and can you make that TWO tutorials?? :wink:
WaddyT wrote: ... I was working on a prototype headstock for my first and posted it on OLF ...
Can you give us the link?
John M

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:08 am

Most of what you want to know is in my Photobucket album, for which there is a link below. Here is a build thread that I have just updated at Luthier Community Forum (www.luthiercom.org) - http://luthiercom.org/phpbb3/viewtopic. ... ae33d81499

You'll have to sign up if you have not, but it is a free forum, and like ANZLF, is uncensored.

Here is the OLF thread where I posted the prototype of my headstock. The original was too squat looking. Someone, and I can't recall who, said it looked stoop shouldered, so I tried to correct that in the final design.
http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/view ... pe#p165705
Waddy

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:32 pm

Great guitar in all respects, and only #3, I'm impressed. As others have said the rosette is and eye catcher.
Taff

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:14 pm

I guess I'm like everyone else . The headstock is a great design Waddy , but I'm also impressed by your rosette ,Bridge and fretboard flourish . Pretty amazing cross silking on the Spruce Too !

There is one thing , if it were me, I'd have matched the heel cap to the bindings.

Nice work Waddy , a beautiful guitar
Craig Lawrence