A Concert Uke

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave White
Blackwood

A Concert Uke

Post by Dave White » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:12 am

My eldest daughter Becky asked me to make a uke for her to give to her best friend as a Birthday present. So I looked through the scraps pile in the shed and three weeks later ended up with this Concert uke. He's called Merry to go with Pippin - the first Concert uke I made earlier this year. Top back and sides are Mahogany reclaimed from an Edwardian Bureau - the top and back are one piece and the sides aren't bookmatched . The neck is a scrap of Sapele with an ebony centre "truss rod" that was a fingerboard off-cut. The fingerboard, headstock veneers, bridge and heel cap are Macassar ebony offcuts, the binding and end-graft some Old Rio Rosewood off-cuts and the braces Euro spruce brace trimmings. The only "bought" parts are Gotoh ukulele tuners (re-fitted with Stew Mac ebony buttons), Aquila nylgut strings, the bone saddle (the bone nut was a reject from a larger instrument) and the black/pear/black purfling and rope purfling (used in the rosette). The finish is hand rubbed pre-catalysed lacquer over Z-Poxy apart from the neck shaft which is Tru-oil over the Birchwood Casey Sealer/Filler. The neck is a single bolt M/T and there are carbon fibre flying buttress braces (offcuts again). There is a page here on my website showing the build. The main difference from Pippin is the shape (this is how Pippin should have looked ) and a single saddle slot that intonates much better than the "fancy pants" split saddle I did on Pippin.

Here's some pictures:
merry70.jpg
merry70.jpg (216.46 KiB) Viewed 7191 times
merry71.jpg
merry71.jpg (264.28 KiB) Viewed 7191 times
merry73.jpg
merry73.jpg (265.52 KiB) Viewed 7191 times

And here's Merry and Pippin together:
merry74.jpg
merry74.jpg (221.49 KiB) Viewed 7191 times
I did a quick recording of Merry today - I didn't feel up to Tiptoeing through the tulips so the next obvious choice had to be "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" in honour of the weather we're currently experiencing here in the UK - it could have been "Blowing in the Wind" too . Send in the money and I'll take the vocals off the mix

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Allen
Blackwood

Re: A Concert Uke

Post by Allen » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:13 am

Looks and sounds great Dave. And what a great gift.

Inspired me to download the music go and learn that song. The monsoons will be starting up here soon, so I'll need to practice that one at a bit faster pace. :lol:

I'm just starting my first uke from wood that I actually bought. Up to now they've all been reclaimed from off cuts. It's one of my favourite parts of building them. Cost almost nothing other than a bit of time.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:14 am

Bum! Your site or server must be down Dave, your pics have broken links and the link to the build on your site fails to load. I'm sure if it's one of your builds it'll be fit for the queen to play but I'll check back later and sus it out.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:15 am

Beautiful little instrument there Dave. I like building uke's as well. They are a lot of fun and don't take near as long to build as a guitar.

Thanks for the pictures.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am

Ok, sites back up and you didn't disappoint Mr White. Interesting "aerodynamically designed" bridge on them both, don't let NASA see them Do you find it gives them a different sound from the 'normal' ukes? It sounds a little 'fuller' but then that could be the sound that size is meant to make? I know bugger all about ukes.....but I'm learning!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am

Wonderful work Dave and the sound clip is very cool as well.

In this thread this is the last re-constructed message by the ANZLF helping team. For more information click here.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:24 pm

I bet that bureau love its new shirt Dave.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield