J.F. Custom Kasha Style Tenor Uke

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

J.F. Custom Kasha Style Tenor Uke

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi All,

Here is the latest one I've finished up. A Kasha style Tenor Uke - the first I've done in the style.

I had a very fine piece of Tassie Blackwood that I got some years ago but was too small for most uses. It could have made a neck but I really wanted to give it better exposure than that. So it sat until I came up with this. Therefore this unit features a four-piece bookmatched top and back.

It was a fun project but still settling in so difficult to assess tonally. I also don't have a lot of experience with Uke's so not much to compare it to.

Specs aside from the Blackwood are : 17" scale length, "Raindrop" Gidgee Fretboard and Bridge, amazingly fine "Ringed" Gidgee Binding, Silver Ash purfling details, solid laminated Qld. Walnut/Silver Ash linings, Qld. Maple neck, Grover geared tuners, Mirotone Pre-Cat Lacquer. The Purflings were hand steam bent into the ribbon twists. Oh, and before anyone asks - the ribbon over the soundhole will indeed be fragile by nature. However it does have a cross grained backing first, than each twist has 12'000 odd strands of Carbon Fibre laminated to it; so it should be ok in practical use.

Sorry guys and girls (this means you Pete!), no sound byte yet but we'll see what we can do.

Thanks for looking.

Jeremy.
Attachments
JFCUSTOM_TU_BOUT.jpg
JFCUSTOM_TU_BOUT.jpg (141.99 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
JFCUSTOM_TU_BRIDGE.jpg
JFCUSTOM_TU_BRIDGE.jpg (133.54 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
JFCUSTOM_TU_RIBBON.jpg
JFCUSTOM_TU_RIBBON.jpg (119.62 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
JFCUSTOM_TU_BACK.jpg
JFCUSTOM_TU_BACK.jpg (110.94 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
JFCUSTOM_TU_WHOLE.jpg
JFCUSTOM_TU_WHOLE.jpg (61.9 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
Last edited by J.F. Custom on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Re: J.F. Custom Kasha Style Tenor Uke

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Jeremy, thats a very tastefull little instrument. The inlay is supurb especially the binding design finishing over the soundhole! A piece of art that I bet sounds good too!

Cheers

Alan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:07 pm

Absolute stunner Jeremy. That one is going in to the inspiration folder for future reference.

Your photos are top notch too. Care to elaborate on how you are going about shooting those great pictures.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Must agree with Allen here Jeremy,

I think the instrument is simply superb and sets the bar very high for style and design. A truly artistic display of very finely honed skills indeed, but so to are the bloody images. Cough it up sport, we want a photo tute!

Cheers

Kim

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Post by Pete Howlett » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm no fan of kasha but I am of superlative craftsmanship and this is it. Stunning photos too - you have us all reassessing our game Jeremy :)

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:09 pm

Truly amazing Jeremy, and as Kim stated - you're setting the Ukulele Building Bar even higher .... am guessing you've Photoshop'd the images onto a black background.

Just out of curiosity - how thin did you take the top down to? and do you have an image of the top bracing?

Well done!

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:09 pm

Very pretty indeed Jeremy and I agree with Kim, a quick tute on that light-less black background please.

Jim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:10 pm

Along with everyone else, I'm in awe Jeremy. Tastefully done and top notch finishing. I love your eye for timbers & matching too, you've contrasted & executed that binding in a way I'm inspired by (maybe a quick tute of how you do that too by the way!). I'm a sucker for Blackwood at the best of times but this particular tree didn't give it's life in vain, you've done it real justice!

(Extracts tongue from Jeremy's backside :shock: :wink: )

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Wowł!

( that's wow cubed factorial )

Dennis

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi Again.

A big thanks to those who caught googles cache of this thread and did the work to revive it. If not for that, I don't think it would have seen the light of day once more. Least I can do is bring the pictures back. I can't be sure these are the same images but they will do; I'm sure you get the gist.

On another note - I am very happy with the tone now it has settled a little. I've been practicing a song to do as a demo but don't feel confident I have it to a 'worth posting' state yet... :roll: In fact, that may be overstating things. I'd say far from it. :oops:

I did enter this unit in an Australian Wood Review competition though, as the entry guidelines were broad enough to cover an instrument - Sebastian mentioned it in another thread. Didn't win anything but made the final 15 'print cut' which is pretty cool in itself.

Anyway, I think we may have lost some comments from this 'google saved' version of the thread, but thanks to everyone's feedback that's here and that used to be - it's appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:42 am

Allen wrote:Care to elaborate on how you are going about shooting those great pictures.
Toejam wrote:... a quick tute on that light-less black background please...
Hi Jeremy ... I've been looking around the Forum since the crash and sadly I cannot find your great tute on shooting images, nor the in-depth one on using alpha channels in Photoshop to prep images for posting. Is there the slimmest of chances that you may still have those screen shots & text saved that could be re-posted? If these tutes/threads have been restored by the Help Team can someone point me to them?
Cheers & thanks!
Last edited by John Maddison on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
John M

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:27 am

John

That was one thread that I went specifically searching for but couldn't find as I felt it was particularly important.

If you could re-create that thread I'm sure there would be a lot of appreciative people here Jeremy.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:36 am

Glad to see your gallery submissions back up in their former glory Jeremy.

I agree with John and Bob, the photo tute really is beg worthy....please, pretty please Jeremy, we promise not to loose it again.

Cheers

Kim

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 am

Just to add another please to this list.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Post by Dave Higham » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:50 am

What the heck. I suppose another 'please' can't do any harm.